Reg malfunction or diver error injures two - Lake Plansee, Austria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So the person you try to save can kill you if he bolts to the surface dragging you and the donated reg to the surface… hmmm…

So the person you try to save can kill you if he bolts to the surface dragging you and the donated reg to the surface… hmmm…
It's a risk. In such a panic, the donating diver with the kit on his/her body could fight the ascent and maybe break free from the panicked diver holding the hose but many would find that option difficult to enforce.

In my lifeguarding class we were told a person who's drowning can kill you as they try to climb on top of you to get out of the water. Pushing you under and keeping you there.

It's a risk. In such a panic, the donating diver with the kit on his/her body could fight the ascent and maybe break free from the panicked diver holding the hose but many would find that option difficult to enforce.

That why, back when buddy breathing was the norm, there was a lot more practice on air sharing and techniques for the donor to control the reg, the situation, and the other diver.

In my lifeguarding class we were told a person who's drowning can kill you as they try to climb on top of you to get out of the water. Pushing you under and keeping you there.

Like swimming with a dog, they just want to sit on your head.

That's why we're taught to approach from behind the panicked person if possible. The other option is to take them under purposely and then resurfacing behind them. Once you have control over their shoulder and across the chest with your hip supporting their body they will relax 90% of the time...

Buddy breathing is similar. You maintain control of the entire situation or they don't breathe. If they are acting in an unsafe manner then they lose the reg... I won't die or take a chamber ride for anyone other than my wife or children. I'm also not above controlling techniques to stop the other diver and reinforce their need to stay calm.

The difference is that in my OW class the risks have not been mentioned. All I ever heard about this whole "panicked diver" deal is they may go for the reg in your mouth rather than the yellow one on your body. I don't think buddy breathing is even mentioned in my PADI OW book.

So if "the person you're trying to save bolts to the surface dragging you with them", we should expect that to be a surprise to most OW-certified divers.

The best justification for a BFK I’ve read to date.
Besides, that would look rather bad for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom