Lake Annecy injury - France

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Google translation...
A 36-year-old man was taken to hospital after a rare decompression accident which occurred during a dive in Lake Annecy, this Sunday, December 10, 2023. A nitrogen bubble remained stuck in the spinal cord of this experienced practitioner. He follows daily sessions in a hyperbaric chamber to recover.

A 36-year-old diver suffered an extremely rare decompression accident this Sunday, December 10, 2023, while exploring the wreck of the France in the depths of Lake Annecy (Haute-Savoie). The first elements collected made it possible to rule out the hypothesis of a too rapid rise, reports Le Dauphiné Libéré . The man would therefore not have made any mistake. It would have even respected more levels than the usual recommendations.

A nitrogen bubble stuck in the spinal cord

But medical examinations revealed that a nitrogen bubble had lodged in the spinal cord of this experienced diver, a member of the Annecy underwater club. It is this bubble which would have caused a spinal cord decompression accident (ADD), despite the precautions taken by the victim during his ascent.

The thirty-year-old, rescued by firefighters and a Smur team, was transported to the cantonal hospital of Geneva (Switzerland). He follows daily hyperbaric chamber sessions to recover, indicates the local newspaper.

Are there two divers hurt or is that a typo about a 30 year old?

I can only guess that it poor journalism. I wish I had skipped this story as without a better story told, such hits are not uncommon enough to note with such a poor tale.

You're in Canada, your French must be better than mine: does the original say "in his thirties" or "30 years old"? Because if you're going by google translation: the AI isn't actually intelligent, you know, and would not know the difference.

You're in Canada, your French must be better than mine: does the original say "in is thirties" or "30 years old"? Because if you're going by google translation: the AI isn't actually intelligent, you know, and would not know the difference.
Article says he’s 36, then refers to him as a man in his thirties.

As I suspected...

There's some more information in Le Dauphine:

Decompression sickness: a rare, unpredictable event, the diver made no mistake​

1702803064582.png

The accident occurred late Sunday morning in Lake Annecy, during a dive on the wreck of the France which lies 42 meters deep.

Lake Annecy is at an altitude of 447m/1467ft, which means decompressing to ~0.95 bar/ata. The altitude might have been a contributing factor.
The photo is from the article, and implies the use of a rebreather.
The temperature at the wreck is usually ~6C/43F.
DCS symptoms started 10mins after the dive, diver was put on O2, returned to port and evacuated by ambulance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom