reg for photography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hedonist222

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I remmeber during training, the instructor mentioned a certain type of regulator for photgraphes. The air exited upwards from the sides rather from the middle. Im not sure exactly.
Any ideas? Comments? Suggestions? I dont have a reg yet and im looking at the mares abyss.

thanks!

I believe some of the new Apeks regs have interchangeable exhaust tees with one being wider than the other. The wider tee will exhaust bubbles farther away from your face.
Good Luck!

People often point to Poseidon jetstreams (odin) and cyklons because they're side exhaust, but their merits beyond that are a topic of endless debate.

Gotta put in a good word for vintage diving here :D

A double hose reg takes the air behind your head...always bubble free...

They made a modern version of one last year:

aqu00090.jpg

here are the specs

Double hose regs are indeed good for photography. However, they are different animals then thier single hose cousins. Regulator position on your back is crucial to making them work correctly. They really need to ride bettween your shoulder blades. Once used to them though they can be really sweet regs. No bubbles to obscure your forward vision. I find that I don't have to clear my mask as often, usually not at all as your exhalations don't jiggle it. It can freak out your dive buddies too. The first time they see you exhale they'll think you've blown an o-ring. Ha. Might want to tip them off on how these things work before you go in. I do not own the new Mistral. I've heard mixed reviews on it. I do have a few vintage regs which I have had rebuilt and I really enjoy them. If one of your friends has an old Royal Aqua Master or a DA aqua master, see if you can try one out in a pool. I'll warn you in advance though, one of these reg's properly set up could lead to getting hooked on vintage diving.

Jim

ScubaPro S600 with extender tee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom