Reg Configuration - Thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was trained initially we were taught primary donate, however the widespread usage of a backup second stage was a couple of decades in the future. One of the reasons the necklace, seen on many regs at the time, were not used by divers and later disappeared (it slowed the donation).

As long as you and your buddy agree on the share air procedure it should be OK. Anyone else will most likely take the one you give them, or go for whichever one they see first. I've actually only been mugged twice, neither time was my buddy, both times from outside my field of view. The first time was before I was using a safe second, that was a circus.

Bob

Sorry for silly question, but earlier I didn´t think about it. I have I Scubapro mk17 and one aqualung 1 stage (DIN end). When it is on tank, which side is up (on Aqualung reg, one side has membrane, one side steel). I read in one article, that bad turning of I stage, when is on tank is strong risk factor for freezing (tomorrow I go to cold water). Thanks. Lada

which aqualung reg is it? it doesn't particularly matter, though. Once you are under water orientation doesn't matter, and at the surface, it only matters if you are breathing off of it, which is only a concern if the air is below about 5*C and the water is the same. Then the adiabatic cooling can cause the first stage to freeze. Solution is to just not breathe on it until you are submerged, and don't use the power inflator to fill the wing at the surface, orally inflate

If you've got a good sealed 1st, I wouldn't worry about 1st stage freezing. I've done my share of diving in water below 5C and air below freezing, and while a 2nd stage freeflow is more or less expected - at least after surfacing, or if you exhale into the reg before submerging - I've never seen or experienced a 1st stage freeflow.

Just make sure your gear is dry and well maintained before you kit up, wear proper exposure protection, and make sure to exhale outside the reg when you pre-breathe during the pre-dive check, and you'll be fine. A freeflow after surfacing is no big deal, just get out of the water and then close the tank valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom