Reg Configuration - Thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Either go with the standard rec configuration or donated primary/bungeed secondary(preferred). There's no point in trying to make up something new.
Totally agree. If you go for a standard octo setup, get an octo holder and clip it to the right shoulder D-ring. It'll probably cost you about the same as a beer. If you go for a bungeed backup, practice primary donate.

I don't like 5' hoses because they are just as annoying to deal with as the 7' hoses and don't have all of the advantages.
Which advantages does a 210cm long hose have over a 150cm long hose in open water?

you can swim single file, and I actually find the 210 easier to manage than the 150cm. That said, my viking blood has given be a long torso and large chest *6'3", 52" chest with 38" waist, but only a 32" inseam, so when my plate is on, in order to hold the 210 at the waist strap, I have to use a swivel or angle adapter otherwise I can't turn my head to the left....

OK. I'm using 150cm myself and have had no issues. But then I'm on the short-ish side (170cm/5' 8")...

Which advantages does a 210cm long hose have over a 150cm long hose in open water?

Who knows. Maybe none. In the water I don't find that it gets in the way.

I haven't taken an out-of-air practice exercise all the way to the conclusion of a dive, just to the surface, but I would imagine that a long hose would be helpful when trying to reboard from the trail line in heavier seas.

I am surprised by the answers. I myself use a normal length primary (short) and will donate the primary and whoever is the lucky recipient is just gonna have to stay close. My secondary is longer (standard octo length - whatever that is) and is routed under my arm and worn on a necklace.

The way I view it is.. the OP is putting his normal octo on his neck rather than clipped off on a D-ring. That is an improvement over the standard recreational rigging in my opinion. It may not be optimal in many people's opinion, but it is an improvement in my book.

It would be better that the recipient use the longer bungied secondary, but if not.. it is not that big of a deal in my opinion. I've had to share air in three actual emergencies underwater, and my configuration worked.

I am surprised by the answers. I myself use a normal length primary (short) and will donate the primary and whoever is the lucky recipient is just gonna have to stay close. My secondary is longer (standard octo length - whatever that is) and is routed under my arm and worn on a necklace.

The way I view it is.. the OP is putting his normal octo on his neck rather than clipped off on a D-ring. That is an improvement over the standard recreational rigging in my opinion. It may not be optimal in many people's opinion, but it is an improvement in my book.

It would be better that the recipient use the longer bungied secondary, but if not.. it is not that big of a deal in my opinion. I've had to share air in three actual emergencies underwater, and my configuration worked.

That is almost exact the configuration I am trying to describe.

I was taught by PADI which was as you say "standard recreational rigging" so would be expecting secondary donate as the OOA procedure. This (if used as taught) places the divers close to preform a joint ascent (with each diver holding the others BC).

If someone makes a grab for my primary (as some describe a diver in panic would do) my secondary is available for my use instantly under my chin without having to look for it however if it is done as secondary donate (as I and most rec divers were taught) it is easily available for the person to take as the bungee is elastic enough round the octo mouthpiece to slip out with a pull (if anything more available and obvious than the hose being stuffed in a BCD pocket). If I am looking directly at my buddy (as trained) they are looking almost directly at both my regs so taking and using one or other reg should be easy for both people.

ok, so what advantages does secondary donate have?
Let's look at pros and cons.
If you are describing secondary TAKE like BSAC for some idiotic reason advocates, then I would just put it on the left shoulder D-ring because it will be most easily accessible.

Now, if we subscribe to secondary DONATE, then how the other divers are trained shouldn't matter because all they are expecting to see is a regulator put in front of their face. In this case, there are no advantages to planning for secondary donate, just plan for primary donate or primary take, and you then never have to worry about it unless you are diving with some bsac muppet who tries to grab at your neck for your secondary. Punch him in the nose and shove your primary in his mouth

there is a modification to the long hose configuration - The "recreational primary donate" is a short hose bungied octo on your neck, and a modest (>40" but <60", whatever is controlable) hose routed down under your arm, and back up on the same side and using a 90 degree swivel as a primary that you donate in an air-share option
Agreed . There is really no advantage and a greater risk of confusion by adding an unusual element to donation as the op has proposed.

Go with the primary donate with a 40 inch hose routed under right arm with angled or swivel adaptor and alternate on short hose bungeed. Streamlined, dependable and takes about 2 seconds to demo to new/instabuddy.

Back
Top Bottom