Reg Advice: SP MK2 Plus/R380 or Mares MR12 Axis Reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taylorm007

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to scuba diving and I am considering purchasing a regulator. I won't be doing anything fancy, just warm water o/w stuff and I will probably only be able to use it a couple of times a year since I live in central Illinois. I want a dependable entry level regulator that I won't pay a fortune for. I've done some research on Rodale's and various other websites and I've narrowed it down to the following two regulators. The ScubaPro MK2 Plus/R380 or Mares MR12 Axis Reg. The SP reg is a little more expensive, is it worth the extra cost? I would appreciate your comments as to whether I have made a decent choice of regs.

Thank you,
Matt

My 2 cents........

I own both Mares and ScubaPro regs...........(Quite the combination)

I dive in cold Canadian waters, mainly.

Contrary to what a lot of what I read here about Piston 1st's, I've never had my ScubaPro piston go wonky, and most of my dives are from 32 to 45 degrees!!

What I have seen, is a lot of Axis Reg's go into freeflow......big time. I guess it has something to do with the seat material, and the reg quickly gets out-of-tune, unless of course you de-tune it quite a bit, which is what i would do if I had the continual problem that I have seen with them. Mares denys the problem.......Uhhh OK. Corporate denial.....go figure. Good company PR, dorks.

My vote would be for the Mk2/R380.

I have a Mk2/R190 for a Deco Reg, and besides the "clunking" noise I hear when it cycles, it seems fine to me!!! It keeps me company during those boring "hangs". You could retire it on a deco bottle when you "Trade-up" easily.

For all that you seem to do (for now), I guess either would suffice.

I'm not familiar with Mares...

However, the ScubaPro Mk2/R380 is a good performing reg that will not cost a fortune. It's very reliable and should be more than adequate for your needs. I've used this setup before and it works fine by me.

Thanks for the input, I'm leaning heavily on shelling out a few more bucks for the SP reg. I have heard of allot of dive shops and instructors that use SP regs because they are solid performers and they hold up well.

Have you checked out Oceanic's Alpha 7 SP4 reg?

Not only do Rodales and Divernet rave about it, I have dived with it and, IMHO, it's probably the best bang for your buck available in regulators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom