Regulator service advice for a beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

109, g200b, mk2, mk10, and cousteau sea are the easiest to learn on

Vintage Double Hose has parts

for the scubapro, getting the universal tool from scubatools isn't a terrible idea
For the g200b, just a g250 parts kit is needed?
Just looked into that tool. Definitely an expensive hunk of plastic. Crazy how much they can charge for a brand specific tool.

and doubt I'll go above the normal amount of oxygen.
When I started diving, I never thought I'd get into tec. Then once I got into tec, I never thought I'd get into CC. This August I start

@rsingler has taught one course via zoom. I'm signed up for the next one in late August. Can't wait!

When I started diving, I never thought I'd get into tec. Then once I got into tec, I never thought I'd get into CC.
I definitely want to get into tech. Here in Michigan there are several fantastic wrecks JUST outside recreational limits. Upright, perfectly intact 3 masted schooners and such. From what I understand though, you don't typically use greater than 40%ean for going deeper. Increases the risk of oxygen poison.

I don't often disagree with @runsongas however the SP Universal Tool appears to be a waste of money. Instead, I recommend the SP Multi Tool (Scubapro Multi-Tool, Aluminum ) with the caveat that you modify it. (an easy modification)

(Pardon my lazy cut and paste from an email I recently sent)

The roll pins will start to give up after several uses, so please purchase the .240 pins and install them at the first sign of wear or you'll be hating me for suggesting the Multi-tool. For $2 each I would get a few of them.
Replaceable Pin (.240 dia.) for Hook Spanner

See this thread for the why and how to modification.
Upgrading the Scuba Pro Multi-Tool

Not only are the pins a better fit & last longer, but you'll also find that after tapping the hole you'll have an easily adjustable pin which will be much more secure on the reg body. Quite frankly, if you're not going to modify the multi-tool then I would suggest getting the hook spanners Search and pins-but then you'll need a face spanner for the seat cap.

I agree with @herman while you're ordering from ST, get the book Regulator Savvy. Speaking of Herman, he also makes a variety of regulator servicing tools so you should touch base with him and tell him your needs. His tools are often superior to the ST devices.

@gqllc007 mentioned @rsingler 's class. If you can get in one, you would be well served.
Regulator Service Technician Training - Unrestricted

Cheers,

Couv

I definitely want to get into tech. Here in Michigan there are several fantastic wrecks JUST outside recreational limits. Upright, perfectly intact 3 masted schooners and such. From what I understand though, you don't typically use greater than 40%ean for going deeper. Increases the risk of oxygen poison.
You use greater than 40% for deco.

I'd get an 02 compatible lube from the beginning. It costs a little more, but a decent size tube will last for years. This is what was recommended for the online reg class mentioned earlier: ChristoLube MCG 111, .8 oz tube

Here's a handy web page for o-ring info and cross-compatibility if you are trying to make your own service kits:
Scuba Diving O-Rings - The Scuba Doctor

Attached is a chart of the o-rings used in most ScubaPro regs from O-Ring Finder per Brand - Premium O-rings Provider for Scuba Diving

Attachments

• Scubapro-o-rings-chart-1.pdf
    59.3 KB · Views: 118
"
...Sherwood 3200...

Although I love mine, give it a pass. Sherwood no longer supports it, and since has proprietary parts, you would have to hope you could find a shop with parts laying around. The seconds are simple decent downstream regs, so don't pay more for the reg set than the seconds are worth.

"

Although I love mine, give it a pass. Sherwood no longer supports it, and since has proprietary parts, you would have to hope you could find a shop with parts laying around. The seconds are simple decent downstream regs, so don't pay more for the reg set than the seconds are worth.
I actually have all the listed regs. My wife got them all for a steal. Are you saying the first is unserviceable? The sherwood I have was connected to a mk20, so not the matching 1st.

I actually have all the listed regs. My wife got them all for a steal. Are you saying the first is unserviceable? The sherwood I have was connected to a mk20, so not the matching 1st.

Not service, but if the piston assembly that gives the air bleed goes bad you are not likely to find a new one. If it works properly now it will probably last another ten or twenty years, perhaps longer, from my experience. I bought a demo set from a shop in 1980, the first service was about 2005 when the dry bleed quit, it still held the IP and functioned perfectly. The shop used their last piston assy and said they couldn't get any more. I bought a newer Sherwood several years later and that 3200 is on my pony.

I love the reg, but I wouldn't pay much to buy one that I couldn't test first. The old Sherwood seconds I keep in my save a dive box in the truck has helped others a lot over the years.

Back
Top Bottom