Refinishing Old tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oleman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Some have asked about how I refinish my old tanks, of course the normal answer is depends..with the I posted here it was one of the nasty ones with that old plastic coating that killed so many tanks ,, I was lucky with this one except for I had to remove the coating to gert started. I use a 4" grinder with a hard wire wheel cup style and this cuts it off fairly good, then it goes to the sand blaster, after that it is wiped down and a coat of zinc primer is put on to seal up the now open steel.
next comes a coat or several of
normal primer which can be sanded and any small pits filled with body shop "glaze" this stuff is for the really small pits or even scratches and works well as it sands very easily and hardens fast.
the final is two coats of two part polyurathane, this stuff is costly so I try to paint a tank along with another project ( this time a small white boat ) any questions just drop a note will try and help

If you want it painted clean and paint with zinc it was made to go over galvanized metal.. or you can buy "cold galvanizing in a spray can" but I don't care for the looks of it...but does work for touch up..

what about for tanks that are hot dipped galvanized from the factory?

ZRC Galvilite, absolutely the best product to use on a steel tank galvanized or bare steel.

same with stripping them? tried pressure washing the original paint off but it wanted nothing to do with that, and thinking taking a wheel to it is probably a bad idea....

I just picked up some older steel 100's so I'm looking to strip the paint off them and do the ZRC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom