refilling Baeur Triplex filter cartridges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverkev

Reaction score
Hi there- anyone got any info or tips on refilling spent Baeur Triplex filter cartridges (the blue plastic ones about 6 inches long).How to open, how to clean the casing, what order to refill with charcoal and molecular sieve and wadding discs, and amounts. Also how to go about the refilling (should the components be pushed down into the housing some how?). Are any of the components dangerous in any way (through inhalation of dust for example). Cheers

You can get bulk media and pads from Lawrence Factor, Global and others.

However, it is never a great idea to refill throw-out plastic cartridges - for one thing, you have to cut them apart since they are glued together, and it can be hard to get them back together so they will still fit and seal. Also, if you use the wrong cement it can contaminate the filter media, so the filter is almost spent before you even get a chance to use it.

And then, of all the cartridges you might choose to try and fill, the little Triplex Bauer is probably the worst. Two problems: the Triplex cartridge, to fit a reasonably long gas path in the limited space available, uses a counterflow design with an inner and outer tube. This makes it considerably fussier to fill correctly. Because the cartridge is so small, with such a short life even under the best of conditions, you don't have much leeway - if you don't get the fill just right, you will get lousy, bad-for-you air.

If the high cost of cartridges is getting to you, you'd do better to sell the housing and replace it with one using either larger, or handpackable, cartridges.

diverkev once bubbled...
Hi there- anyone got any info or tips on refilling spent Baeur Triplex filter cartridges (the blue plastic ones about 6 inches long).

The Alkin I have CAME WITH a refillable internal cannister, but its small and you have to be VERY CAREFUL in repacking it, or you will not do a proper job and you could get channeling, which is very bad for your health :)

I typically use LF's disposable cartridges in that cannister though, and save the other one (charged and sealed in a vac-pack machine) for emergencies where I NEED to run the compressor but am out of the other cartridges.

Finally, I use a "belt and suspenders" approach and have a LF Hyperfilter that is my final filtration.... :)

Back
Top Bottom