Reel Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just started a tec class (TDI Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures) and am in need of a 400' reel. As my regular reel jammed up on me rec diving in Jupiter a few months ago, I am looking for a good quality one that's less likely to tangle. Looking for recommendations...

Thanks,
Steve

I'm curios of why do you need a 400' reel for AN/DP, or are you going after this to cave diving ?

Another vote for Light Monkey and/or Halcyon. I had a student who used what I think was a Tilly-Tech (?) reel....German brand... that was really great quality. Never tracked down a supplier for those...

IMHO, a well machined delrin side-handle reel works great. I'm surprised that some companies still sell sloppy top-handle reels...especially the rickety plastic/metal ones.... they snaggle way too easily and are far to prone to damage. Some of the top handle designs require a functional disassemble, needing tools, in order to fix a tangle... there's simply no excuses for that.

I guess, but it doesn't seem handy to do that course with that type of reel.

I assume personal preferences

I'm curios of why do you need a 400' reel for AN/DP, or are you going after this to cave diving ?

I believe that a 200' would probably work, but is pushing it and that a 400' reel would be the better choice. If you're shooting a bag from 150' in any type of current you'd be pushing it with a 200' reel. Another reason why I like the larger reels is exploring the site if you're diving a wreck in limited visibility. If I'm diving a wreck where the visibility is 5-10' then I'm using a reel so I can find my way back to the anchor line easily.

I have a Halcyon 400' reel, how is it different from a Light Monkey?

I have a Halcyon 400' reel, how is it different from a Light Monkey?

There isn't much of a difference, it's the same design but the biggest difference IMO is that the Light Monkey reel is made completely of delrin. I have both and would purchase whichever one is cheaper and quicker to get.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom