Reel Reccomendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another vote for the Salvo 400, and I have also rewound it with 36lb for ocean diving.
As a backup/safety reel I recommend the Larry Green custom gear, which can be ordered from AddHelium.

All the best,
Geoff

Neither the Salvo nor the Halcyon reels are neutral. They are definately negative. Being neutral is totally unnecessary and actually counterproductive since it would change bouyancy as the nylon comes off (nylon is slightly negative) and when you went from fresh to salt water.

The Manta is a drag, literally. The handle must be held open, against a spring which is tiring on the hand. And the dished washer used as a default tensioner means you have to constantly laid line against the same tension, whether that tension is appropriate or not. And reel the line back in against that tension which is tiring for anything more than short stretches. I had a Manta Jr. and sold it. I have one more that I use as a shot line off my boat, doesn't even work good for that.

Thanks... These are helpful. It would be nice to have heard from someone who'd tried both enclosed and unenclosed, but it looks like there's a real consensus around the Salvo. I'm going to try to find myself one with #36 or #48 line on it. Thanks all!

I use the Dive Right with 140' of the lighter line. I just use it for safety on reefs and low viz stuff. I love it, I don't cave are deep explore wrecks so I can't comment on the larger reels.

I like the Salvo reels, but I liked the Halcyon (similar design, but with a metal handle) better, just from the way it fit and felt in my hand.

The Ralph Hood reels look nice and are great to handle on land, but I haven't used one in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom