Reel Reccomendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djcheburashka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm ready to purchase my first real reel (as opposed to safety spool).

What brands and models do folks reccomend? Are any particularly less likely to tangle than others?

I take it there's a consensus that enclosed reels are a bad idea?

And actually, looking at these: Are the Salvo and Halcyon really neutrally bouyant??? That seems like a real advantage to me, although otherwise the enclosed Reef Survivor ones do look good because it looks like the tensioning screw is easier to work with smurf gloves on.

Take a look at the Manta SR Reel The no freefeed no birdnesting feature sold me!

Second the Manta Reel: Home Page .

The only modification we made was to put a small rubber ball behing the loop knott at the beginning of the line. For fumble fingers like me it prevents reeling the line back through the lead.

Have Fun!

Dan

There's no such thing as a jam proof reel. You can manage to birdsnest any of them. I've tried a few reels and like the Ralph Hood the best. I like the salvo 400' alot, although I'm going to replace the line with #36 for ocean diving. From the reels I have used, I prefer the Ralph Hood and the Salvo. I looked at the Manta a couple of times, and found it too gimicky for my taste. Personal preference is what it's all about, try to borrow some if you can. I would suggest you stay away from a metal handle with a metal screw, as they tend to corrode. Good luck with your decision.

I have a diverite sidewinder what they call "Primary side-handled reel" w/ 250' of #36 on it (I am not a caver and IMHO I think #36 is better for open ocean diving). You can also get it with 400' of #24. I really like it and recommend it. Having said that I have a friend who has a Salvo and it is really nice! Not enough difference for me to go buy a Salvo, but had I played with one before the diverite, I would have bought it instead.

Probably just personal opinion, but I really like the sidehandle design better than "classic" design...but I imagine that is personal preference.

Reef Survivor ones do look good because it looks like the tensioning screw is easier to work with smurf gloves on.

I think you find that once you start using a reel, you won't use the tensioning screw.

I would personally stay away from any gimmicky reels. If you are wearing gloves look for one with a big handle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom