Reel questions, OMS smart reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schwob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking to get into wrecks and maybe caves for reel. (pun intended).
Two questions:
1,)
Curious about this relative new sidewinding real with soft handle:
OMS smart real
OMS SmartReel 400' Red Line
I like size and weight aspect (travel). Price seems OK too. I am not used to anything in particular yet (conventional handle reel), so I can learn “new” ...
But I wonder if it is a in practice really useable reel... I.e. with light on Goodman handle, soft or hard, this reel could only be used holding it in the other hand ... or?***
Could you offer some wisdom?
Is this an inherent bothersome flaw? Or a non issue because ...?

2.)
I get the use case for 400’ reels (and larger if needed).
I get the uses for jump reels and spools (cookies) etc.
What are 200’ or 250’ reels meant to be for?

*** bonus question:
DIY Light holder integrated into this OMS smart reel “soft-handle-loop” ... (bear in mind, I ask from a point of view rooted in inexperience)... that seems not very practical - or could it be practical?

1-You can't really hold anything with that hand obviously.
Really bad for cave diving, and you shouldn't put your light in your right hand because it can be mistaken for an emergency flash. A lot of people annoyingly do this anyway, but it's still bad form, so please don't do that.

2- 200-250' reels are probably the "right" length for most cave diving primary tie-offs. Many people will take standard 400ft reels *400ft with #24*, and put #36 on there to make a 200-250ft reel. Edd's primary reel for the mill pond is one of these. I don't know of any "popular" caves that need more than 200ft of line. They used to need it, but no more. That length is also ideal for most deep DSMB shooting as it gives you enough scope to deploy from the deep stops in current if you're doing trimix diving. 400ft reels these days just aren't needed unless you're doing major exploration.

DIY light holder is probably not a great idea since you need to make sure your hand is pointed where you want the light shining which may not be where the reel wants to go.

remember that sidewinder style reels are brilliant for laying line and they look cool, but they are REALLY annoying to reel back in because you can't put your fingers on the line to keep tension on it while reeling back in and if you try, the line piles up on one side.

Now, cool things about that reel. I like the quarter turn locking mechanism to be able to remove the spool in case of a rats nest, that's pretty slick, but I don't use sidewinders. I have several, but I just prefer the old school style reels if I actually need to run line and take it back in

1-You can't really hold anything with that hand obviously.
Really bad for cave diving, and you shouldn't put your light in your right hand because it can be mistaken for an emergency flash. A lot of people annoyingly do this anyway, but it's still bad form, so please don't do that.

2- 200-250' reels are probably the "right" length for most cave diving primary tie-offs. Many people will take standard 400ft reels *400ft with #24*, and put #36 on there to make a 200-250ft reel. Edd's primary reel for the mill pond is one of these. I don't know of any "popular" caves that need more than 200ft of line. They used to need it, but no more. That length is also ideal for most deep DSMB shooting as it gives you enough scope to deploy from the deep stops in current if you're doing trimix diving. 400ft reels these days just aren't needed unless you're doing major exploration.

DIY light holder is probably not a great idea since you need to make sure your hand is pointed where you want the light shining which may not be where the reel wants to go.

remember that sidewinder style reels are brilliant for laying line and they look cool, but they are REALLY annoying to reel back in because you can't put your fingers on the line to keep tension on it while reeling back in and if you try, the line piles up on one side.

Now, cool things about that reel. I like the quarter turn locking mechanism to be able to remove the spool in case of a rats nest, that's pretty slick, but I don't use sidewinders. I have several, but I just prefer the old school style reels if I actually need to run line and take it back in
Thanks!

@tbone1004 :
While you are here: Why is the bolt snap rigidly connected to the reel on so many reels (like dive rite) (as in a connection that cannot be cut)?
Isn’t that a big “no-no”?

@Schwob it's a bit of a nuance thing with that

@PfcAJ agreed. The Halcyon pro spools are pretty slick though. Don't have one, but the couple I've seen look pretty nice. What are your thoughts on those?

@Schwob it's a bit of a nuance thing with that

@PfcAJ agreed. The Halcyon pro spools are pretty slick though. Don't have one, but the couple I've seen look pretty nice. What are your thoughts on those?
I've been on one dive with one of those things. My buddy went to lay a jump at about 140ft deep and it disassembled itself. As predicted, its extra parts and faff for no benefit.

2/10, would not dive.

In Mexico you sometimes need this kind of length (120mt/400ft), especially if you dont exactly know where to find the mainline ;-) or if you stick to C1 limits but still want to see another tunnel (aka run reel to first jump kind of deal).

I agree with the above, for cave this reel is definitely a bad idea:
- Handle not compatible with goodman on the light, messes with communication and not possible to free up a hand for buoyancy adjustment or whatever needs to be done
- Locking mechanism looks suspicious, would rather trust simple screw
- Delrin is more robust and neutral, better than the nylon of the OMS
- Red is the worst possible choice for line color underwater (other than maybe black...), this together with many other features is an example of what may look like a good idea in the showroom until you try underwater for the first time
- ... the list goes on

Re the Halcyon defender spools (not the pro version with handle etc), the reasons I like them are
- Very solid and robust, thick enough to engrave initials with a Dremel and paint the engraving with a white sharpie marker (best way to mark spools imho)
- Center has a little hoop to tie line to
- Thin center, so can hold a decent amount of line for its size

But here any solid delrin spool will work, regardless of brand

Maybe helpful to add what works (rather than only point out whats wrong with the OMS). Id wager that in cave land the most recommended type is the simple goodman handle reel, like the Halcyon Pathfinder or Lightmonkey Reel. The lightmonkey is a bit lighter (delrin handle vs Aluminum handle), but both are good. I have the light monkey because of the marginal weight on the plane on the way to Mexico (this stuff does add up by the time youre lugging around 4+ regs etc).

Any reel of this construction, if machined with fine tolerances (this is important, dont go no-name otherwise it might not spin evenly eg), will be a good choice

400ft reels these days just aren't needed unless you're doing major exploration.

400ft is more like a mini expedition :D Up here 400ft has remained a bit of a defacto standard (shooting deep bags if you really have to but most people use a 150ft spool, or sweeping searches for wrecks from the shot line etc) in part because the smaller 200ft version is hard to hold with dry gloves.

I like 800ft reels for exploration. I have a 1200ft reel but it's big, it's heavy, if I screw the pooch with it (easier than you realize with dry gloves) then I have no alternative. 2 or 3x 800ft reels are often a better choice.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom