Reel Placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverryan

Contributor
Reaction score
I usually place my reel on the back crotch d-ring but it seems like I will sooner or later set my doubles down on it and crush that nice expensive reel all to *****. Any suggestions on other places to put it? Thanks.

Just remember that it's there, and you're all good! :D

If you're not carrying any stages/deco bottles --Hip D-Ring. Otherwise clip the Reel to the swivel eye (1" size) of a top bolt snap on one of your stage/deco bottles. Also Dive Rite Stage Straps feature a small metal split ring integrated into the webbing that you can clip stuff onto. . .

Left thigh pocket would be the proper "DIR" method. Wouldn't it?

amascuba:
Left thigh pocket would be the proper "DIR" method. Wouldn't it?
Small Emergency Spool yes, left thigh pocket; Working Spool right thigh pocket --but a Penetration Reel in a thigh pocket?:confused:

Mini hijack:

Where is this new mantra of hip clipping the reel coming from? What happened and whats wrong with butt clipping? Stage clipping? Never seen it, never heard of it in a DIR context. Maybe its a non-Florida thing. Is there some disadvantage to butt clipping that I'm unaware of?

I've landed lp95s on one of those little blue DR reels so many times, its not even funny. It just pops out from under the tanks, no damage done.

I'm sure that the next time I use it, it'll shatter into a plethora of blue shards, but thats Murphy.

I place my pent. reel at my right hip D-ring....I do not practice DIR proper,,,,,would almost never recomm. a reel placement on a deco bottle as mentioned---or any
other gear on a bottle!

See, I put my reel in the cave or wreck. Its not doing me much good on a d-ring. When swimming down the run or dropping onto a wreck I put it on my right d-ring.

PfcAJ:
Mini hijack:

Where is this new mantra of hip clipping the reel coming from? What happened and whats wrong with butt clipping? Stage clipping? Never seen it, never heard of it in a DIR context. Maybe its a non-Florida thing. Is there some disadvantage to butt clipping that I'm unaware of?

I've landed lp95s on one of those little blue DR reels so many times, its not even funny. It just pops out from under the tanks, no damage done.

I'm sure that the next time I use it, it'll shatter into a plethora of blue shards, but thats Murphy.
Never give the Gremlin Blue Hands of Death a chance to "foul-things-up" sight unseen, if possible. A reel on the butt d-ring "magically" unwinds itself or even disappears (especially during Tech Classes), and you'll never discover it until you try to unclip it or see a birds nest billowing out from behind you. Besides, the butt d-ring is for stowing extra stage/deco bottle(s) or towing a spare scooter. . .

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom