Reel clips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The DIR reel for primary tie in and exploration is the side handle design. For everything else you use a finger spool. Problems with top handle reels:

1) Line trap design (the enclused attempt to fix this is worse since you can't untable it when it does happen);
2) Not easy to use with goodman handle;
3) More difficult to use on a scooter where you need to hold it out;and
4) Most have a fixed bolt snap (which is the only part that can be corrected).

The issues with the Manta and other fixes for non-existant problems are too obvious to discuss.

The Dive rite reels do lend themselves to line trapping, which is the big reason I won't use them.
However the OMS reel design does not allow this to happen.there is no space for the line to get caught in. And don't get me wrong, I am NOT a big Oms gear fan. Thier reel is the only OMS product I use.

The point about the goodman handle...never had a problem wrt that. However if it IS an issue for someone..absolutely not a reason to use it.
I don't see how the design of the handle would interefere with deployment from a scooter however I've never had to deploy a line FROM a scooter therefore I won't argue a point about something I haven't tried.
cheers
m

On a scooter you are riding with your right hand and holding the goodman handle in your right hand as well. You have stages on your left. You are laying line much faster than you would swimming which leaves less margin for error. You have to hold the reel out from your body, not down as the top handle is designed, so the line doesn't catch on the stages. In addition to being difficult to do with a top handle, line does not come off a top handle reel as well and it is more difficult to use when you turn it sideways to get it away from the stages. A side handle fixes all of these issues.

A top handle is usable when swimming but very compromised while scootering. So, it works okay when using it just as a primary on a swim dive. But, a side handle works better. The DIR answer is to not use compromised gear when something better is available.

I always wonder about this- I have a Dive Rite reel that has the same issue as the OMS reel- metal to metal connection. I just took off the brass clip and tied on my own bolt snap. There is also a hole in the handle, so I could even use a double ender if I wanted too.

I understand it is easier to buy a product that is "all set to get wet" right off the shelf, but it seems that some products are simply blacklisted from the start, even though it would take a only a few modifications to make it right. I'm not saying that we should all cut the bungees off of our wings, but some modifications are cheap and easy to do.

Maybe I should say "not DIR in the exact form it is sold" :)
(also see RJacks comments below)

Also there are considerations for holding a light/reel in the same hand at the same time etc. etc.

I dont think I have a single piece of gear that hasn't had to be "hacked" in some way to work the way I want :) boltsnaps on regs, SPG's, bungee in d/suit pockets, replace the crappy H inflator on wing, argon mounts ... everything in the dive industry seems to need some kind of tweaking !

On a scooter you are riding with your right hand and holding the goodman handle in your right hand as well. You have stages on your left. You are laying line much faster than you would swimming which leaves less margin for error. You have to hold the reel out from your body, not down as the top handle is designed, so the line doesn't catch on the stages.

EDIT alert. I think you got some dyslexia going on here :)

This thread had been very educational. I am looking at purchasing my first reel and it has given me alot of information to help me in my decsions. The vid clip was extrememly helpful.

Thanks!
Carolyn:sharks:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom