Reel clips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not a DIR trained diver, but if I was looking to eliminate metal to metal connections, I would likely tie the bolt snap to the reel like I would tie it to my SPG hose etc.

I'm not a DIR trained diver, but if I was looking to eliminate metal to metal connections, I would likely tie the bolt snap to the reel like I would tie it to my SPG hose etc.

Its really not necessary.

The double ender to reel connection has: 1) the other end to remove it if it jams, 2) gets used early in the dive - you don't get all tangled up with an attached reel inside a wreck. Taking the no "metal to metal" bit to an extreme you'd not have a bolt through the middle of the reel so you can cut the drum off the handle... Hmm maybe not.

Permanently attaching a boltsnap is preferred by some, but its a bit of a kludge IMO and the little thumbcatch on the snap likes to snag line. I don't use one.

Top handle reels tend to come with a boltsnap attached with a metal to metal connection. Like these guys:
re4100b.jpg

Most DIR divers don't like top handle reels cause its inherently difficult to keep line out of the groove between the frame and linedrum. They also may it difficult/impossible to adjust the line tension with a finger. A "DIR" reel looks like this:
re51550lg.jpg

Although in this pic they have the boltsnap on backwards. It can self unhook from this clip direction. Better to put it gate out.

I'm just too paranoid about having a reel unclip itself to use the double ender, I know you should be using it right off the bat and so on, but it's not worth it to me. I have a Salvo (similar to Halcyon) and tied a regular med. bolt snap to the hole and made the line holding it a little longer then it had to be so I can hold the snap against the handle while in use, eliminating the line trap issue.

Although in this pic they have the boltsnap on backwards. It can self unhook from this clip direction. Better to put it gate out.
Here goes a demo of why....

I'm just too paranoid about having a reel unclip itself to use the double ender, I know you should be using it right off the bat and so on, but it's not worth it to me. I have a Salvo (similar to Halcyon) and tied a regular med. bolt snap to the hole and made the line holding it a little longer then it had to be so I can hold the snap against the handle while in use, eliminating the line trap issue.

That's cool too. I have yet to lose a reel, knock wood. Personally I like the unencumbered feel of not having a boltsnap in my palm. Esp. with drygloves and a goodman too.

BTW I have a top handle Manta too, and yes I have tried it. Ack what a pain. I only use that for deploying shot lines in OW nowadays.

i've got a tied-on boltsnap on my reel and so far no GUE instructors have had me cut it off... i also haven't found it much of an entanglement issue...

Thanks limeyx..but many of the ones I've seen aren't 'double dogs' clips...like the OMS 'cavern' and 'primary'...have a look...OMS Safety Reels and Line Arrows http://www.OMSdive.com
I have an oms primary..took the ' butterfly' clip off and replaced it with a standard bolt snap..didn't like the way the butterfly easily accepted opening..
cheers
m

The OMS reel is not DIR for exactly that reason :D
EDIT: Well, that's one of the reasons :)

That's cool too. I have yet to lose a reel, knock wood. Personally I like the unencumbered feel of not having a boltsnap in my palm. Esp. with drygloves and a goodman too.

BTW I have a top handle Manta too, and yes I have tried it. Ack what a pain. I only use that for deploying shot lines in OW nowadays.

Buddy lost one that way (double-ender)
jumped in with it clipped off, felt back "Oh crud, where's the reel gone"
that was the last we saw of it.

However, I have had 2 cave knots eventually come undone with no warning so either
- i suck at cave knots (quite possible)
- or you can lose the reel this way too :)

Well, it only takes one time of reaching back and finding an empty double ender where $140 used to be to fix that! I never liked have to deal with a "two part" reel, the bolt snap didn't seem to fit right staying on the reel, loose in my hand or clipped to the D-ring, messing with it seemed to add appreciable time. This way I keep the bolt snap tidy, but I won't lose it if it falls outta my hand.

The top handle style was the **** before goodman handles, if you have a round ballasted lighthead, flip it upside down and grip it together with the reel and you'll see it then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom