Reel clips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hahaahah...i hear ya...
the only thing i LIKE about OMS is that reel....i like the feel of it when I'm using it and the locking mechanism is quite nice..
not a fan of the dive rite reels...i've seen the plastic lockdown screws strip....and a buddy of mine literally had his dive rite reel blow apart on a course as he blew a bag...luckily in shallow water etc...the reel totally came apart...quite the mess.
I've tried the 'side handled' reels...not fan
you?

hahaahah...i hear ya...
the only thing i LIKE about OMS is that reel....i like the feel of it when I'm using it and the locking mechanism is quite nice..
not a fan of the dive rite reels...i've seen the plastic lockdown screws strip....and a buddy of mine literally had his dive rite reel blow apart on a course as he blew a bag...luckily in shallow water etc...the reel totally came apart...quite the mess.
I've tried the 'side handled' reels...not fan
you?

I don't like the diverite top handles either. The plastic drums seem to crack fairly easily. I only used those pics below cause I could find them easy :)
I don't like my top handle manta because it has a spring activated locking mechanism that really works over your hand after just a few mins.

That OMS butterfly clip is 1/2 way to a "suicide" clip, duh. And the antibirds nest thing is downright silly.

The OMS reel is not DIR for exactly that reason :D
EDIT: Well, that's one of the reasons :)
I always wonder about this- I have a Dive Rite reel that has the same issue as the OMS reel- metal to metal connection. I just took off the brass clip and tied on my own bolt snap. There is also a hole in the handle, so I could even use a double ender if I wanted too.

I understand it is easier to buy a product that is "all set to get wet" right off the shelf, but it seems that some products are simply blacklisted from the start, even though it would take a only a few modifications to make it right. I'm not saying that we should all cut the bungees off of our wings, but some modifications are cheap and easy to do.

I can say that in my GUE cave class top handle reels (in general) were frowned upon as birdsnest prone. Cause to date the frame to drum connection just likes to trap line. Of course OMS have chosen to fill that space with a peice of plastic which might be effective. Otheres have enclosed the drum. But those kinds of solutions certainly haven't caught on.

So yes, clips can be modified easy enough. But fundementally goodman's and side handle reels just love each other :d

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom