REEF ID Class - POSPONED to November 12 &13, 2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cra2:
Sounds great! Count my wife and I in, please.
I clicked on the calendar link, and it asked me to sign in.
I did and it showed me the entry - though I don't think there was anything in the entry that isn't in your post.
I was able to hit the roll-call link, but I couldn't add my wife (who's not on SB). Can you count me as two entries please?
Counted

Hey, as you know, I gots tons-o'-questions (being a newbie and all).
You can use this as starting point for a FAQ for the trip! lol.

* What will the temp of the water be that time of year?
Mid to upper 80's. A few of us dove boynton 2 weeks ago and it was a comfortable 84. IMHO, no wetsuit needed.

* Anyone have good experiences with that boat?
So many boats, so little time. Rose assured me they are a top notch crew!

* What's the bio on the instructor?
Other than a REEF instructor for Fish ID and a member of OceanWatch I've not asked to many questions in that nature. She offered a class and that clicked the memory of having heard people express interest in taking classes like this and doing the Fish Count survey stuff. The people speak, I deliver.. I should be in politics!

* Are the reefs close in there (ie. short boat ride?)
So far, my boat experience in the Boynton, Deerfield, Ft Lauderdale area is that the longest part of the ride is in the intercoastal. Once you break past that its only a mile or two off shore to 60' of water and nice reefs :D

* Will the boat handle 2-tank refills (nitrox) or do we need to arrange that separately through an LDS down there?
Through one of the LDS's. There are a lot around. I found E-Force is open 6am - 9pm in Pompano.

* What are the planned max depths for this class? (I mean, we're not going past the 100' recommended recreational limit, right?)
Should be no more than 60-65. Diving nitrox, it should work out to two one hour dives.

* Is there anything else we should bring that's required for the class? (aside from 2 tanks and cert cards? like dive flags? computers? lights? etc)
Bring your gear and be ready to have fun. It may be a class of sorts, but its a fun learning class thats designed to help make your diving experiences from there out more interesting since you'll know more about what your looking at and diving around. Other than whats required to dive, anything else is optional.
* Colin, are you gonna lead us on a night dive while we're there? :)
I'll leave that for one of the locals like Jenny. :)

* Are there any websites with some fish ID materials we can brush up on before we go down there - so we can get more out of our time with the instructor?
Good question. I've not found anything on reef fish ID online thats all that good. Fortunately, I have found stuff on game fish, which interests me more since I'm a little bit of a spearo, but when it comes to the pretty "fish tank" fish, I've only got an idea of what a few of them are.
* Will they cancel if not enough folks sign up? By when?
All we need is a minum of 15, the boat holds 30. Rose already has others outside of SB interested, so the sooner people sign up the better.

* Is there a decent hotel us out-of-towners could all stay at to bargain for a group discount? My wife and I'd be willing to split a room with double-beds, if that'd make it even cheaper too. (heck, let's all just pay for one room and squeeze 30 SBers in it)
In a week or so, when I have an idea of how many of us non-locals will be attending, I'll check around for some good prices either down at LBTS or maybe even Pompano again at the place we stayed before. Excellent rates, quiet place, good grounds to hang out.
* When do we need deposits? How much? To whom?
I put that in the original post - totally forgot to do it yesterday! Sorry!! :D
Thanks for arranging this! I can't wait!

Your welcome! For more information you can also look up:

http://www.oceanwatch.org/fishid.htm

1) It says, 'if you wanna prepay.."
Does that mean we don't have to, and we can pay when we show up?
Will our seats be safe that way?

2) mid-80's in september? cool. when DOES the water start getting cooler down there?

*oh, and btw, I found some fish ID tips and games on the REEF site itself.

you can call their hotline and hit 1 to leave a message for Rose:

(954) 467-1366

I've got more info that I'll post after a meeting I have to go to tonight.

I'm thinking of staying at the same place we stayed for the Pompano Beach pier clean up. Its right on the beach and rooms started at $42. It also had a great court yard in the villa.

WOW! That's a ten hour drive from my piece of Florida. I would love to meet and dive with you all. Maybe next time..........

Hey I am in for the afternoon and Sunday stuff. Maybe a BBQ is in order Colin? Guess then the next step is a.....P A R T Y ! !
Reef has a pretty nice ID and quizzes area.
Now what are you delagating to me?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom