REEF ID Class - POSPONED to November 12 &13, 2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBulla

~..facebook conch..~
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the threat of Hurrican Frances, this has been postponed until October 2nd and 3rd. Arrangements with the boat have already been changed. Please take a moment to review and change your travel plans as need be.

Well, the long awaited arrangements for the REEF ID class have been made. Price is $40 per person. Here's our itinerary:

REEF Fish ID instructor, Rose Wasserstrom, will lead us on a shore dive on Saturday morning at The Boulders in N Hollywood Beach: 8.30 AM gear up, 9am dive. There is a fee to park of $4 (? can a local please confirm and directions to please).

This will be followed by an class in the afternoon (location TBA) to cover the aspects of Fish ID and information recording.

Sunday morning we will board the Lady Go Diver out of Deerfield Beach and heading off shore for further fish ID and skills practice. This is a 2 tank, bring your own tank trip. Boarding begins at 7:45 am, boat leaves at 8:15 am. Gear can be rented from Dixie Divers.

A test can be taken afterwards that Rose will proctor that, if passed, will have you registered with REEF as a level 2 fish identifier. :)

If your interested, please use the calendar link below and sign up on the RollCall! Hope to see you there!!

http://scubaboard.com/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=173&day=2004-9-4&c=1

If you want to prepay for the event, checks can be sent to the following:

OceanWatch
Attn: Rose - FISH ID
PO Box 5494
Lighthouse Point, FL 33074

Make checks payable to Ocean Watch Foundation. Sorry, OceanWatch is not set up for credit card transactions. Since OWF is a 501c this is also a tax deduction.

Materials included: the underwater slates (for loan) and a sheet of underwater paper for each diver to keep.

For sale: Survey kits for $25.00 each. These kits include the slate, uw paper, scan sheets, and a midi id book that is waterproof.

Where are we staying: Last time we had an event over there we stayed at the Villamar Hotel right on the beach. Rates start out at $48 for smaller rooms facing the pool and go to the mid 80's for beach side facing the ocean. :) www.villamar.com - this is where I'll be staying :)

note: this thread is a sticky until the weekend of the event when it will be closed.

i am signed up. very exciting

CBulla:
If your interested, please use the calendar link below and sign up on the RollCall! Hope to see you there!!

http://scubaboard.com/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=173&day=2004-9-4&c=1

note: this thread is a sticky until the weekend of the event when it will be closed.
I can't access the link. Msg. says I'm not logged on or I don't have permission.
Make it work :-(

Sounds great! Count my wife and I in, please.
I clicked on the calendar link, and it asked me to sign in.
I did and it showed me the entry - though I don't think there was anything in the entry that isn't in your post.
I was able to hit the roll-call link, but I couldn't add my wife (who's not on SB). Can you count me as two entries please?

Hey, as you know, I gots tons-o'-questions (being a newbie and all).
You can use this as starting point for a FAQ for the trip! lol.

* What will the temp of the water be that time of year?

* Anyone have good experiences with that boat?

* What's the bio on the instructor?

* Are the reefs close in there (ie. short boat ride?)

* Will the boat handle 2-tank refills (nitrox) or do we need to arrange that separately through an LDS down there?

* What are the planned max depths for this class? (I mean, we're not going past the 100' recommended recreational limit, right?)

* Is there anything else we should bring that's required for the class? (aside from 2 tanks and cert cards? like dive flags? computers? lights? etc)

* Colin, are you gonna lead us on a night dive while we're there? :)

* Are there any websites with some fish ID materials we can brush up on before we go down there - so we can get more out of our time with the instructor?

* Will they cancel if not enough folks sign up? By when?

* Is there a decent hotel us out-of-towners could all stay at to bargain for a group discount? My wife and I'd be willing to split a room with double-beds, if that'd make it even cheaper too. (heck, let's all just pay for one room and squeeze 30 SBers in it)

* When do we need deposits? How much? To whom?

Thanks for arranging this! I can't wait!

Im in. Looking forward to this class.
Thanks Collin.

I signed up as well, but I must be dense. what are the dates?? I might have to get a replacement at work, ???

the class is Sept. 4 and 5. i had a hard time figuring out where it says that
(it's because it's in TINY TINY TINY letters)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom