Reef Hooks - what am I missing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Griffo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm obviously missing something obvious. Why do some dive ops / dive places ban reef hooks? I've recently been diving in some magical places that ban reef hooks yet have high current. The result? Divers hanging on with their hands, wedging themselves into gaps, or kicking the hell out of the coral trying to maintain position. Surely a hook placed around a rock leaves almost no damage in comparison?

Obviously some idiots would use them on a piece of soft coral, but these are the same people who would use their hands to grab onto whatever anyway. So what am I missing?

I did a dive at Byron Bay where a DM cut someones reef hook off the anchor line. Her excuse was 'its banned so its okay for me to do that'.
I agree that a well placed reef hook does have a lot of benefit as divers will still have an anchor line to hold onto instead of damaging reef.

+1 for the use of reef hooks, I don't understand why they are banned in some places either.

I can- some divers simply can't stop themselves hooking in to living coral, and/or use them in inappropriate circumstances,. and or use them without understanding the potential hazards.

Reef Hooks can be a useful tool- much like a band-saw. In the wrong hands...

I can- some divers simply can't stop themselves hooking in to living coral, and/or use them in inappropriate circumstances,. and or use them without understanding the potential hazards.

But these are the same people who are going to cause mass damage anyway when they hang on with their hands.

So instead you will see a chain saw in the wrong hands. Even in the wrong hands a band saw is more surgical / precise.

I would rather see a DM have to say as part of a dive briefing, "This is a reef hook. This is how we use a reef hook. This is how we do not use a reef hook." No, he shouldn't have to do that, but yeah, it's probably necessary in many places. And I agree that a hook, used properly, will inflict far less, if any, damage to the reef than the obvious alternative, someone's hands.

I'm obviously missing something obvious. Why do some dive ops / dive places ban reef hooks? I've recently been diving in some magical places that ban reef hooks yet have high current. The result? Divers hanging on with their hands, wedging themselves into gaps, or kicking the hell out of the coral trying to maintain position. Surely a hook placed around a rock leaves almost no damage in comparison?

Obviously some idiots would use them on a piece of soft coral, but these are the same people who would use their hands to grab onto whatever anyway. So what am I missing?

Maybe it's for the same reason people don't want condoms passed out to teenagers. When you do it, you're implicitly giving them the green light telling them it's OK. People who want to ban reef hooks might not want it to become a grey area. Keep it just a black and white issue: Don't touch the reef in any way. Not saying it makes sense; but this might be their rationale.

Could you post pics of reef hooks and how does one hold on to them?

When I was in Cozumel, there were times when I had to hug the bottom to stay out of the current so I could wait for the group to catch up. My hands and knees were all f-ked up pretty badly by hydrilla that stung.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom