Reef condition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If we did not express our opinions, warts and all, we would be no better than the dive magazines. Honesty has always been one of the hallmarks of this board.

Our 3 week vacation comes to an end on Sunday morning when we fly home to Calgary, and the only crime perpetrated on us is the one that requires us to return home and go back to work. But seriously, I wonder how any wanna be thieves would have any time to loot an unattended vehicle with the constant stream of tour buses and taxi vans ferrying cruise ship passengers up and down the coast, not to mention the cruisers clogging up the roads in their golf carts. We went in at 1000 Steps at around 9:30 one morning with only a couple of other trucks in the parking area, and when we surfaced over an hour later, the steps were jammed with people taking photos and a taxi van was parked so close to our pickup that we could not lower the tailgate to take remove our gear.
All in all, it has been a great vacation, we crossed a couple of want-to-do dives off of our bucket list and had a great time. Next visit will be in 2019 when my DB and I both celebrate our 60th and we are planning on doing it in the summer so hopefully it will be much less congested.

and when we surfaced over an hour later, the steps were jammed with people taking photos and a taxi van was parked so close to our pickup that we could not lower the tailgate to take remove our gear.
For me, crowding is the major turn-off, not the theft; the keywestization and jamaicazation of the ABC's.

I've been going to Bonaire for over 20 years and witnessed a significant deterioration in the coral and fish life. I was there a week ago and noticed lots of bleaching, dead coral and algae. There are very few large fish other than tarpon, and in a week I saw only one small Nassau Grouper and one small Tiger. Every morning, I saw boats fishing right on the reef in front of Buddy Dive including charter fishing boats. There are still lots of macro critters on the reefs and much to see, but no doubt in my mind that Bonaire reefs are not what they used to be. I'm sure there will be disagreement but I am just stating an opinion. One thing I was pleased to observe was the DMs on the boat dives rigidly enforcing the don't touch anything rule.

I guess the increase in population, number of divers, and the increase in cruise ship traffic have been contributors to reef deterioration, as has climate change.

Does the DM 'don't touch anything' rule apply to the fishing fleets you referenced ?

Let me pay you back by sharing
IMGP7285-Edit-1.jpg
IMGP7512-Edit-1.jpg
some recent pictures.
IMGP7273-Edit-6.jpg
IMGP7216-1.jpg

@tarponchik Hi Yuri,

On a couple of occasions, we saw a huge herd of snorkelers just South of us. We were at Den Laman/Bari Reef. They did not last long and never interfered with any of our plans. I'm quite sure they came from the cruise ships. Looked a lot like your 3rd picture.

If they were south of Bari they were from Coco Beach which is a cruiser hangout. There is not much to kill from there down to the harbor at the depths they would be. I don't like the crowds that come from the ships either but if they are snorkeling at least they may be learn some respect from the ocean. Cruise ship impact on the ocean is an altogether different topic. Luckily, Bonaire does not get as many cruisers as most of the Caribbean and very few during the warm months in the north.

The development plan is disturbing but I think a bit aspirational at this point. Adding 600 luxury rooms to the island is going to be a challenge. Where are they going to put them? The shoreline that is not developed is not likely to be developed and most of it is protected. They will have to renovate or tear down some existing resorts more than likely. The Plaza is still half abandoned so there is room for a couple of hundred there I suppose. They also need to contend with the fact that Bonaire doesn't have beaches. Luxury resort goers want the Corona ad with the palm trees and sand. That doesn't exist on Bonaire. Divers are cheap as we want to spread our dollars over multiple trips than just one expensive one. That doesn't comport with luxury rooms. See the usually sparsely populated Harbor Village as evidence. The non-diving beach lovers can go to Aruba and do so at half the air fare of BON.

I don't know how it is going to pan out. The crowding is not unique to Bonaire. They are seeing similar struggles in Palau which is just a 5 hour flight from mainland China.

All I know is that I am heading back in three weeks. Knowing me I will figure out how to have a lot of fun while I am there. I will be doing tons of video and photos this trip and will share what I see.

That is a very good link, scubadada.

The very concise executive précis:

The tourism board has hired a company that essentially recommends that the entity that hired them should have access to loads of more finances, directly and unencumbered by any other body.

The entire economic improvement of the island should be on the backs of the visitors.

Wring every last penny from every visitor through increased fees and taxes.

Turn the island into a high end vacation spot.

My thoughts:

Bonaire is a wonderful place to come to experience the legendary "dive freedom". Compared to other places, the diving itself is not spectacular, but the option of going where and when you want and diving how you want is it's unique charm and is what makes diving in Bonaire so appealing.

It is not, nor will it ever be, an exclusive destination. It is not Mustique or St Bart's and they can subsidize construction of 4 star resorts until they bankrupt themselves, but it will never be the lush, green, palm studded, powder sand beach destination that will deflect the people that want that from the places that have it.

Their suggestion to subsidize airlines to increase tourism to Bonaire is seriously misdirected, because anyway you look at it, it becomes a closed loop where the revenue must be extracted from tourists one way or the other.

Tourism revenue already surpasses Cargill, BOPEC and everything else. Kiteboarders, wind surfers, European vacationers and, especially, divers come to Bonaire for a pleasant, good value experience. Squeeze too hard and those visitors will move on to better value places in the Caribbean shores of Central America or elsewhere. Don't kill the goose with the, if not golden, but at least silver egg.

So I hope that the authorities in Bonaire cut their losses on the study, throw it in the bin and carefully cultivate their existing strengths.

Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom