Reef condition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

During the past several weeks we encountered green morays on the southern sites on at least 8 different dives. On one dive, at an unmarked sited south of Margate Bay, I had one follow me for most of the dive. It would swim up to me, act shy, then swim off into the abyss. A few minutes later it would swim back from a slightly different direction and repeat the process of checking me out then swimming away again. I stopped counting around the 10th time it did this. It was fascinating, but a bit unsettling because I never knew what direction (usually behind and below me) that it would come from next.

Yesterday we encountered a big green guy under a small coral head in the shallows while diving our way back to shore from Salt Pier. It's the only time I can remember encountering a green moray in really shallow water. It's great to see them back again and apparently thriving!

I've seen suspicious behaviour (actively swimming up to a diver to nearly touching distance) a couple of times on the Northern sites beyond BOPEC. These are still good spots for Lionfish hunters, and I suspect the Morays have started to associate divers with free lunch...

I've seen suspicious behaviour (actively swimming up to a diver to nearly touching distance) a couple of times on the Northern sites beyond BOPEC. These are still good spots for Lionfish hunters, and I suspect the Morays have started to associate divers with free lunch...

It is never a good development when possibly dangerous predators come to see divers, snorkelers or swimmers as a source of free lunch. Accidents will happen.

I've been 3 times in the last 4 years. Really wish there was more and bigger fish life. Coral is fine and all, but fish would be nice...

Friday a manta ray was videoed off of Wannadive’s site. I wonder if it was the same one seen at Something Special a month ago.

Friday a manta ray was videoed off of Wannadive’s site. I wonder if it was the same one seen at Something Special a month ago.
Friends of ours saw one at at a southern site last week. Could be the same one as they can cover a lot of distance in a short time.

Somewhere recently I read that a single Manta has been seen hanging around the island for some time.
So far it seems to be finding enough to survive on, if not exactly prosper and grow large.

Somewhere recently I read that a single Manta has been seen hanging around the island for some time.
So far it seems to be finding enough to survive on, if not exactly prosper and grow large.
Maybe it was hired to hang around and filter water to help improve the viz? :) The video I have seen of it, it appears to be good size. I need it to hang out for 4 more weeks!

I hope this is an attempt at humor because it's total horse puckey.

Well, I have had truck "gone through" multiple times. I leave nothing much in it so nothing has gone missing, and leave it unlocked so nothing was broken to get in, but over the years, both here and on a different Bonaire forum, I have read several posts from people who have had tee shirts, flip flops, water bottles and even food removed from the truck. Battery removal is or was common and I know at least one person who had a tire stolen. I have also read numerous comments from people about rental agencies trying to charge them for damage or missing parts when the truck was turned back in or needed repairs. I have not experienced it, but have seen enough comments to believe it is true. It might make a difference who you rent from. Some sites are more problematic than others and time of day makes a difference, I think. Bonaire crime reports are available on the web, if you doubt the problem exists.

I still go to Bonaire (and Curacao) and the theft problems can be dealt with, and I would not tell someone not to go because of theft from trucks issues. I know the topic upsets some Bonaire fans who don't appreciate any comment that tarnishes the island, but I think it is only fair to let people know about the situation so they are aware and can take proper precautions.

upload_2018-1-19_9-58-13.png

upload_2018-1-19_9-58-39.png

upload_2018-1-19_9-59-52.png

upload_2018-1-19_10-0-19.png

upload_2018-1-19_10-0-47.png

If we did not express our opinions, warts and all, we would be no better than the dive magazines. Honesty has always been one of the hallmarks of this board.

Back
Top Bottom