Reef condition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the additional info. :) We will be renting a truck while we are there, is break in / theft a regular problem?

That wasn't very nice....I read that and laughed so hard, I spit a nice Scotch all over my monitor. But, umm, no, not problem at all.....just leave the truck unlocked, leave nothing of value inside, including flip flops or a sandwich, leave the windows down and don't be alarmed if there is no battery or tires on the truck when you return. You might want to get a local sim card for your phone and a waterproof container to take it with you on the dive, in case you need to call for help if the truck is inoperable. Get the full coverage insurance or they will charge you for the missing bits and pieces of the truck when you leave.

Of course, it is possible you will have no problems at all. That happens, too.

Get the full coverage insurance or they will charge you for the missing bits and pieces of the truck when you leave.
Of note, the insurance coverage provided by some credit cards excludes trucks. So divers should not rely on these.

Thanks for the additional info. :) We will be renting a truck while we are there, is break in / theft a regular problem?

Yes, break-in and/or theft from unattended vehicles has been an a occasional problem here for decades. As mentioned above, don’t lock the doors or leave valuables in the vehicle at dive sites.

They’ve been through our unlocked truck several times over the years. The only thing that ever went missing (so far) was a cheap $8 pair of drugstore sunglasses about 10 years ago. We’ve never had any problems with them taking our well-worn flip flops, shorts, T-shirts, towels, or mesh dive bags, but we realize it has happened to others. The general rule is not to leave anything in the truck that you would sorely miss.

Yes, break-in and/or theft from unattended vehicles has been an a occasional problem here for decades. As mentioned above, don’t lock the doors or leave valuables in the vehicle at dive sites.

They’ve been through our unlocked truck several times over the years. The only thing that ever went missing (so far) was a cheap $8 pair of drugstore sunglasses about 10 years ago. We’ve never had any problems with them taking our well-worn flip flops, shorts, T-shirts, towels, or mesh dive bags, but we realize it has happened to others. The general rule is not to leave anything in the truck that you would sorely miss.
In our case the missing items were my shorts, my baseball cap, 2 water bottles and 2 bananas.

...... turtles but we usual see at least one most days but not this past trip. In fact it was not until our last two days that we saw any squid, what I call the flash mobs of blue tangs or many eels. We only saw one ray of any kind and one moderate sized grouper and again it was the last day. The barracuda were even rare. No baitballs. And where are those near endless streams of creole wasse?............
My wife and I have been going to Bonaire multiple times per year since 2005. Everything you describe falls within the variability we have seen from trip to trip over the years. One winter, a manta was seen nearly every day for 2 wks at Sand Dollar and another, 2 huge snook resided under the (now) Dive Friends dock for months. These fish were defined as "common" because everyone saw them repeatedly. Last winter, my daughter and I saw a loose school of about 30 barracuda in the relatively shallow area 100 yds north of Salt Pier where most divers do not go; otherwise, we've only seen one, usually very large, barracuda at a time. Those mobs of tangs are unpredictably regular at Bari Reef, our house reef, and elsewhere. Spotted, purplemouth, chain, goldentail and chestnut morays are common, but with variable population densities and for some, you have to know where to look. Green morays have returned to modest abundance after a large disease-induced die-off a few years ago. We saw a school of 28 young squid under a tied up dive boat at Bari 2 winters ago and almost always see a few adults per trip at the edge of the sandy areas along with a turtle or two. Grouper, in our experience, have always been fairly uncommon on Bonaire, with tigers being the most common. As for the creole wrasse, sometimes they are there in abundance and sometimes not and sometimes there seem to be only 2-4" juveniles.

The bottom line is that we dive with a lot of hope about what we might see, but no great expectations. Every trip is different, which is one of the great features of Bonaire and, perhaps, all great marine parks. In the meantime, I have learned to search the shallows for blennies and other small critters. There are so many species to be found there that I never new existed outside of the fish ID book.

I think a note of optimism should be injected into this conversation. The sewage treatment plant has been operation for a few years. This will surely be beneficial in the long run, particularly for the elkhorn and staghorn corals that are trying to regroup after the 99% die-off in the 1990's. Every creature that directly or indirectly benefited from those corals suffered from the ecological disaster of their loss. The re-establishment of damaged species populations of all sorts probably will take many years.

Last edited:
.....just leave the truck unlocked, leave nothing of value inside, including flip flops or a sandwich, leave the windows down and don't be alarmed if there is no battery or tires on the truck when you return. ...

I hope this is an attempt at humor because it's total horse puckey.

Last edited:
Here’s an interesting article on the effects of Saharan dust on the Caribbean. We’ve seen the surface effects of this dust on Bonaire previously, but this is the first I’ve read where there appears to be a negative effect on coral reefs.

Unhealthy Saharan Dust Blankets the Caribbean

“Of much graver concern to health professionals is the fact that the dust also contains chemicals such as pesticides and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, which are known to be very harmful to human health.

Research has also shown that the dust may be harmful to coral reefs. According to retired geologist Gene Shinn, “Our hypothesis is that much of the coral reef decline in the Caribbean is a result of pathogens transported in dust from North Africa”.

The dust has also been credited for algae blooms in a phenomenon called “red tide”. This sought of bloom has been responsible for the death of millions of fish and other marine life, in the past.”

Based on the (published) police reports I've read, it still blows my mind what people will leave in their cars unattended...

Prior to TS Omar in 2008 the dive site Oil Slick was a veritable garden. Following that storm a friend from Canada commented after our dive that the site looked like it had been used for bulldozer training.
It has come back a long ways since then, but the reefs do not recover overnight.

Other sites had similar types of damage, though the unique topography at Oil Slick magnified the storm damage.

We have visited Bonaire at least once a year for 11 or 12 years now, and we have seen ups and downs.

A few years ago the Green Morey Eels vanished, yet on a night dive this last Oct we saw THE largest Green Morey I have seen anywhere, free swimming, hunting, shadowed by 5 large Tarpon.

We intend on returning to Bonaire for years to come.

A few years ago the Green Morey Eels vanished, yet on a night dive this last Oct we saw THE largest Green Morey I have seen anywhere, free swimming, hunting, shadowed by 5 large Tarpon.

During the past several weeks we encountered green morays on the southern sites on at least 8 different dives. On one dive, at an unmarked sited south of Margate Bay, I had one follow me for most of the dive. It would swim up to me, act shy, then swim off into the abyss. A few minutes later it would swim back from a slightly different direction and repeat the process of checking me out then swimming away again. I stopped counting around the 10th time it did this. It was fascinating, but a bit unsettling because I never knew what direction (usually behind and below me) that it would come from next.

Yesterday we encountered a big green guy under a small coral head in the shallows while diving our way back to shore from Salt Pier. It's the only time I can remember encountering a green moray in really shallow water. It's great to see them back again and apparently thriving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom