Reef condition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"the TCB could enforce more stringent enforcement management strategies regarding divers’ behavior. As Bonaire’s available diving staff seems already stretched, the use of Saildrones to facilitate enforcement is appealing. In addition Saildrones are far cheaper than manned boats.To pay for the Saildrones, STINAPA could increase its fees .....The nature fee should be based on an in-depth study of tourists’ willingness to pay"

The above is a quote from the report referred to in my previous post and I think it is a chilling and specific example of the muddled thinking of the highly paid academics enlisted for this questionable study.

I do not know what "Saildrones" are exactly, but presuming they are some sort of camera equipped remotely piloted vehicle, I wonder what their expectations are? And how do they intend to monitor diver behaviour with them? Parking on the wrong side of the street? Or do they have some kind of radar, infra-red or other means to penetrate to 40 meters beneath the sea to ensure that we only wear our gloves on entry and exit? If they do, they must be fairly robust drones to operate in the usual winds in Bonaire. Do we install a USAF Iike command centre to operate and monitor their flight? Another team to maintain the drones? Do we have a team of analysts to review and assess the data? And based on this analyses, by what means do they intend to identify and prosecute alleged offenders? I guess it comes down to the "tourists' willingness to pay"!

The next step is, although I am reluctant to suggest an avenue they apparently have not come up with themselves, to add a $2 per fill surcharge for every tank to ensure that every diver does what 99% of us do anyway by virtue of our own concerns about our diving environment.

Andy

Last edited:
Does the DM 'don't touch anything' rule apply to the fishing fleets you referenced ?

When we were there 2 years ago, I remember being at the beach where east coast divers puts in their boat, where there is a dock and a dozen or so old local wooden boats. We were amazed that one boat that had just come in, had been lugging LARGE fish of various species from that boat and was filling up the bed of a small hilux truck. There were oodles of fish in that truck.

Tourism revenue already surpasses Cargill, BOPEC and everything else. Kiteboarders, wind surfers, European vacationers and, especially, divers come to Bonaire for a pleasant, good value experience. Squeeze too hard and those visitors will move on to better value places in the Caribbean shores of Central America or elsewhere. Don't kill the goose with the, if not golden, but at least silver egg.

Airfares have recently jumped significantly and travel times have become excessive on some legs from some origins. If they also increase on island costs they are simply shooting themselves in the foot.

I agree , even with the high air cost, if I average out the cost per dive, it's still the least expensive place I can go and get in a lot good Caribbean diving....I just got back 2 weeks ago. If they jack the cost of being on the island and also put in some kind of per dive cost or worse yet some kind of requirement that I dive with a DM, that value goes straight down the tubes. If I have to pay the cost and put up with such limitations of my diving I will just go to the keys or Bahamas. The writers of the report seem to have the idea that if you build 4 star resorts that for some reason more high spending people will come. I really don't understand why they think that. Without wide sandy beaches, palm trees, bars and beach party type entertainment those folks are not going to come....and even if they do, why not go to Aruba or Cur as they are a lot bigger and already have that kind of facilities in place. Unless Bonaire is willing to destroy the entire reef and create man made beaches that is not going to happen and if they do, divers will stop coming. There is simply no reason for me to spend the time, hassle and money to get there if I am to be charged a lot of money for diving only to herded and cattle boated like everywhere else. I also don't understand why they think more cruise ships will be a good thing. Other that more hoards of golf carts riding around the island and maybe a few drinks, no one off a cruise ship is going to spend any real money. What they will do is make divers less likely to return. There were 2 ships in several days during my last vist, you could barely drive with all of them poking along in golf carts or worse yet the dumb a$$es were just standing in the road oblivious to traffic. If Bonaire really wants to progress, they first have to be realistic with what they have to work with. It will never be a tropical paradise and it's water and reef are it's only real assets. Rather than trying to become some kind of large tourist trap, they should concentrate on what they do best, diving, wind surfing and kiteboarding. Get lower airfare into the island, esp in the off season and spend a little to improve the dive sites with minimal upgrades to the parking areas and creating easy entry points. Moving a few big rocks is all it would really take. Instead I am afraid they are going to accept the BS of the report which is doomed to failure and at the same time kill the golden goose they have.

Bonaire for me has been fun and a great place to go. However, if it becomes more expensive, more of a hassle to get/be there, and less relaxing due to increased ships, people, or rules/regulations, it will certainly send me to other places in it's place. Although I love the vibe of the island and ease of diving, I don't feel the fish life is all that impressive. The coral is fine, but honestly, coral is coral....

I’m on island at the moment. Staying at Divi. It’s ok in a pinch. Their reef is ok but not very accessible when the cruise ships are in town. If you ever dive their reef and wonder why it sucks. Thank the huge ships that kick up the bottom with their bow thrusters. It is Carnival this week so the island is super busy. Good luck getting a truck or room. We are expecting huge turd generators again tomorrow. There is no way that having multiple of those per day does anything good for the reef. They are benefiting from the the storm ravaged northern Caribbean being unable to host cruisers and their insatiable shopping and eating needs. When this ends and then the cruiser destinations are back up and running things should return to normal. Won’t do anything for airfare but should quiet down activity to a level the island can sustain. At the moment, the sites we did in December that looked crappy now are better, Cliff was much better. The sites are all really fishy. Salt Pier was the best I’ve seen it.

I've always gone in feb/march, I wonder how it is in summer, or fall even in comparison and if I'd notice any difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom