Redundant buoyancy in warm weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, your solution to "How to deal with multiple tanks" is "Just don't do it" ?

Honestly, I am not trying to be a jerk.....I know alot of tech divers from over the last couple of decades of tech diving I've done.....very few of them HAD to stay down so long that they would need the travel gas 80 tacked on. That's more of a Cave issue, where the ascent issue and currents are radically more predictable.... And in cave....you really might need much more gas even than this....but it is an entirely separate paradigm.

5 extra minutes at 280 can easily mean having to bring the extra 80cu ft tank.....I say, pass on this extra 5 minutes....the exponential increase in deco and other issues is not worth it....We are going down there for fun...not to set new duration records, or to bring up treasures from the depths we are happy to risk our lives to get...... It can be "so EASY" when you just use the time you can stay down with doubles and your deco 30.....

I just like keeping my tech dives easy...and my contingency planning as easy....
When you find a wreck with a million in gold for us to share, I will get very serious about planning for 2 hour long dives at 300 feet. UNtil then, No Thanks....it's not Fun when you add everything up !

Truk Lagoon --did the Oite Destroyer yesterday: 60m/54m ave @60min Bottom Time; used Alu 11L double tanks with an 11L stage cylinder with 20/20 "economy" Trimix, and two more 11L deco cylinders of 50% and 100% O2 on a leash & dropped outside of wreck (enough for buddy lost gas and IWR if needed); RD1:2 augmented with a Petrel Computer ZHL-16 set to GF 30/85 --for a Total Run Time of 183min. Halcyon Alu BP & 18kg/40lb Wing, no additional lead weight belt needed -very heavy kit & tank set-up already!

5mm skinsuit with a 2mm hooded vest AND a UTD heated cummerbund belt. Redundant buoyancy was a 18kg Halcyon closed valve Liftbag stowed in BP pocket (Halcyon MCC pack).

NOTE: The GUE diver who was here diving the JJ CCR is an Instructor who decided to leave his TLS 350 drysuit here GRATIS! Looks like an off-the-rack Medium demo model with side pockets & turbo soles. Upper torso baggy fit on me, but my legs & shoe size fit is good! Still has tear in non-Zip wrist seal, and the Zipper looks old & frayed (possibly leaking as well), The dive-ops here (Truk Lagoon Dive Center at the Truk Stop Hotel) gave me first dibs at it, and it's currently soaking in a rinse basin full of "Sink-the-Stink"

Well whaddya know! Come to tropical 30deg C water Truk Lagoon wreck diving --and get a hand-me-down free DUI Drysuit!
:D

HIJMS Oite Destroyer:
ADVANCED DIVER MAGAZINE • Ghost Destroyer of Truk Lagoon

Reactions: RJP
Interesting read on the Oite destroyer, thanks.

A minor quibble for AD magazine: the article needs some proofreading.

Getting ready to dive the Amagisan Maru : plan 60m/42m ave @ 55min Bottom Time, Run Time 110min total; RD1:1 and Shearwater Petrel Computer. Same cylinder configuration as above Oite Destroyer dive, with Deep Air for bottom mix. Using Halcyon closed valve 18kg capacity Liftbag again for redundant buoyancy, and might actually try a practice deployment on the long O2 deco stop at 6m. . .

[Today 72 years ago at this moment, the Japanese Combined Fleet Base here at Truk Lagoon receives word of the great raid & victory over the US Pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbor. But in only 26 months time, the US would avenge that humiliating & tragic defeat, and return here to bomb this naval bastion & fortress --the Japanese "Gibraltar of the Pacific"-- to complete destruction.

In honor of these men & women still living, and solemn remembrance of those who have passed on or died during the war --Today I again celebrate the Greatest Generation who defeated the Great Depression, Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan. . .]

Oh boy....more Truk references from KevRumbo. :rolleyes:
Yep! Been diving in Truk for nearly every Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day for the past six consecutive years . . .and always respectfully grateful & thankful to be here on this one of the most infamous dates in American History. (And understanding because of this date, why the US has now the best most powerful Navy in the world. . .)

Amagisan Maru: 61m max/52m ave @ 50min Bottom Time; total run time 135min. Moderate current on deco, so I didn't get to try and practice deploying the liftbag for a back-up/redundant buoyancy assist drill. . .

Ok...so we get you're proud and grateful...do we need to hear about the whole profile, configuration, etc. ALL the time? Let's stick with the topic at hand. If you want to write a diary I suggest posting in Facebook or Twitter.

Ok...so we get you're proud and grateful...do we need to hear about the whole profile, configuration, etc. ALL the time? Let's stick with the topic at hand. If you want to write a diary I suggest posting in Facebook or Twitter.
That's right Tiki_bill, a proud & grateful American ALL THE TIME, especially & always on this day in this place for every year I can make it back here . . .and I've actually been diving the "topic at hand" here in Truk ("Redundant Buoyancy in warm weather"), so you're going to hear about my profiles, configuration etc. until somebody posts something else more interesting to discuss and pertinent to the topic at hand. . .

Moderate current on deco, so I didn't get to try and practice deploying the liftbag for a back-up/redundant buoyancy assist drill. . .
That doesn't sound like a very good solution then. Only moderate current and you have issues with it? The whole point of this thread is to determine the best solution for redundant buoyancy. That's the problem I have with lift bags: they become sails when deployed.

That doesn't sound like a very good solution then. Only moderate current and you have issues with it? The whole point of this thread is to determine the best solution for redundant buoyancy. That's the problem I have with lift bags: they become sails when deployed.

Agree. Back to the drysuit...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom