Redundant buoyancy in warm weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan, you are reminding me of one of the most unpleasant dives I've ever done. It was a drift dive on Coz, where the guide and ONE diver wanted to race along the reef, and the other FIVE of us wanted to take photographs. If the diving is incompatible with photography, the dive op ought to say that up front, so that photographers can choose to go elsewhere. Otherwise, the divers should be able to do the dive they want. If conditions are so bad that that cannot be accomodated, people should know it before committing to that dive op, boat, or dive site.

Actually Dan... The quote I responded to mention nothing to the sorts of divers with earproblems. It mentions cave-divers and macro-divers... Or do all cave-divers and macro-divers have earproblems? You advocate that the swift diving in current on a wreck would be impossible in a drysuit, or that cave-divers will dwiddle along, or that macro-divers will stay in one spot...

From the posts I have read in that past couple of pages, (I am sorry.. I didn't read the previous 15 ish pages...) your opinion is that the right way to dive is swimming with the current with freediving fins that give lots of thrust and can get you very far during a dive. (Correct me if I am wrong, as english is my second language)I

just fail to see where _your_ opinion on what is "the" way to dive is the only one...

I do NOT advocate that THE RIGHT WAY and ONLYT way to dive is going FAST with Freedive fins.... I think people have the right to dive at the speed they went to dive at....and...the boat choice, and the captain, needs to try to get the people with certain predilections, into the right dive sites, and to create the necessary compromises.

However, I also think that each diver SHOULD use fins that will allow them to go fast if an emergency occurs....and many choose fins that fail badly in this event....And the use of a dry suit makes this even worse.

So, a macro photographer diving with a macro-friendly boat that is prone to cold should freeze their tushies off while wearing super long fins?

Dan, you are reminding me of one of the most unpleasant dives I've ever done. It was a drift dive on Coz, where the guide and ONE diver wanted to race along the reef, and the other FIVE of us wanted to take photographs. If the diving is incompatible with photography, the dive op ought to say that up front, so that photographers can choose to go elsewhere. Otherwise, the divers should be able to do the dive they want. If conditions are so bad that that cannot be accomodated, people should know it before committing to that dive op, boat, or dive site.

Lynne, I totally agree on this...we have some boats here that cater to photographers.....we have some boats that cater to spear fisherman.....you don't really want to get on the boat catering to a group opposite of what you like to do....this is one of the things I try to work on with the tourism directions the boats here take--so that we can stratify by interest, with each boat.

On the other hand, it is "possible" to get on a boat that caters to photographers, and find some 12 person group from hells kitchen has shown up, and they all want to blast down the reef...your best move is to chat with the groups prior to the first dive--get some intel on the speed and missions they see for the dive.....and if there is any likelihood that the group will haul butt and ruin your dive--then you and your buddy need to take your own float--and have the boat track you separately.

I even have an inflatable torpedo float ( with reel) I bring with me when I am out of this area....so if Sandra needs to stop for 5 minutes to shoot something, and the group is not stopping--we will be able to stop and not worry about being lost by the boat. The cost of the torpedo, was nothing compared to the emotional cost of hearing Sandra complain about not being able to shoot because the group was going too fast and not stopping :)
blue_water_g.jpg

So, a macro photographer diving with a macro-friendly boat that is prone to cold should freeze their tushies off while wearing super long fins?

No...the macro photographers are on a mission that typically involves them barely moving at most dive sites.....I don't see free dive fins as practical for them...Excellerating Force Fins or Extra Force fins, or even classic Force fins, or jet fins, to hollis fins or equivalent...but not split fins, and not barefoot( much like split fins :)
And the semi-dry suit would be the better choice..... I have been on dives off of Jupiter with Sandra where she was shooting something small, and was still for 5 minutes or more at a time...and the only practical thing to do was to lie down in the sand just beyond the ledge we were leeward of....and with belly to the bottom, be able to ignore or not really feel the current, so heart rate could stay below 60 beats per minute--low breathing rate...I've tried the same with a dry suit, and felt it yanking me up and trying to somersault me--it catches the current, whereas the wetsuit, or semi dry wet suit, does not!!! And the 7 mil semi dry is enough to keep anyone warm in Florida waters, even on the coldest water temps of the year.

My wife was diving in the Keys in March in a 7mm semi-dry with a 3mm shorty over it and was cold after EVERY dive. She would get to the surface and do jumping jacks to warm back up. I was diving dry. I was comfortable, even with the long SI and high air temps. She was not. I got suited up and undressed more quickly than she did on every dive.

My wife was diving in the Keys in March in a 7mm semi-dry with a 3mm shorty over it and was cold after EVERY dive. She would get to the surface and do jumping jacks to warm back up. I was diving dry. I was comfortable, even with the long SI and high air temps. She was not. I got suited up and undressed more quickly than she did on every dive.
Don't know what to say to this...the Aqua Lung semi Dry Sandra just got is not even supposed to be worn in water warmer than 72 degrees according to the shop....
From a web page on it:

AquaLung Mens SolAfx 8mm Semi-Dry Wetsuit
-
Retail Price $715.00
Your Price $535.00
-
Choose Size XSmall Small Medium MedLarge MedLarge Long Large Large Long Large Short XLarge XLarge Long XLarge Short 2XLarge 3XLarge

-

Qty

-
Ships%20Free%20graphic.png
Aqua-Lung_logo.png

AquaLung SolAfx semi-dry wetsuits are AquaLung's most advanced cold water wetsuits ... developed for divers who don't like getting cold. AquaLung SolAfx semi-dry wetsuits have an across-the-chest zipper design with attached hood and are made entirely out of 4-way stretch AquaFlex 8mm & 7mm neoprene for exceptional warmth & comfort.

AquaLung SolAfx 8mm Mens Semi-Dry Wetsuits feature ...

• 8mm torso for maximum core warmth with 7mm legs & sleeves for warmth with flexibility
  • AquaFlex 8mm & 7mm 4-way high stretch neoprene made from environmentally-friendly non-petroleum base
  • Tight weave outer fabric that is more velcro resistant
  • Soft inner fabric for easy on/off
  • Attached hood prevents cold water from entering neck and also features "Vent G2" technology that allows trapped air to exit while keeping cold water out
  • Water dam covers neck & shoulders to add another level of thermal protection against any water entering through the zipper
  • "Plasmaloc" zipper has tighter tolerances and a unique integrated tooth design that make the zipper more water-resistant than other zipper designs
  • Liquid Seam Technology enhances the durability and integrity of the seams
  • "Skin in" seals in forearms & calves minimize water entry through arms & legs

You can admit you were wrong? You made a statement that was incorrect, though you stated it as fact.

Also, at $730 you're talking about the majority of the price of a brand new drysuit. I'm glad "Sandra" (whoever she is) likes that semi-dry. I really am. But the 71F water in the Keys made my wife want a drysuit. We got her a drysuit. She had a 7mm semi-dry. She was too cold in it. I think she'll be happier now.

Also, I don't see how a semidry would be any better for the macro photographer that wants to just sit and get a closeup while NOT wearing freedive fins.

I'd be okay in that suit for one dive, in about 75 degree water or better. The second dive, I'd be miserable. Here in Maui, with water temps almost 80, I'm diving a 5 mil semi-dry and, about three-quarters of the way through each dive, I'm wishing I were in my dry suit. I'd never make it into the water for a second dive.

LOL! I don't understand the diving there?!? I've probably been to more of the dive sites where you're talking about then you have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom