Redundant buoyancy in warm weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL! I don't understand the diving there?!? I've probably been to more of the dive sites where you're talking about then you have.

I can only go with what you are saying.....as to you having done more here than me....maybe, if you were living here and diving weekly since the early 80's....

---------- Post added December 5th, 2013 at 11:46 PM ----------

You can admit you were wrong? You made a statement that was incorrect, though you stated it as fact.

Also, at $730 you're talking about the majority of the price of a brand new drysuit. I'm glad "Sandra" (whoever she is) likes that semi-dry. I really am. But the 71F water in the Keys made my wife want a drysuit. We got her a drysuit. She had a 7mm semi-dry. She was too cold in it. I think she'll be happier now.

Also, I don't see how a semidry would be any better for the macro photographer that wants to just sit and get a closeup while NOT wearing freedive fins.

I guess what is important here, is that you feel that you are right and that I am wrong.....that distinction is not really relevant to me....What I will say, is that there is a wide difference in the thermal potentials of different makes of wetsuits, even of what is supposedly the same thickness. Some rubbers are much warmer than others, and some suits FIT a diver perfectly( helping to maintain warmth), while some suits worn by some divers have huge spaces where they are far too lose to do anything of thermal value. So if you want to feel that a drysuit is better, because a baggy dry suit will still keep a diver warm, then you can be happy with this....my own preference, is to find the warmest and slickest rubber material for a wetsuit, and then be certain you have a near perfect fit.....and that when it is cold, you have an ideal hood--as you lose a huge amount of heat through your head.....

I have zero knowledge of where your wife's wetsuit lay in all these issues...and there is no need to share this.....I think we have covered everything here of importance.

I do not feel that I am right and that you are wrong. I feel that you are wrong. I'm not drawing a line in the sand saying that anybody diving in South FL in a drysuit is a moron or a dangerous diver or diving "substandard" equipment. I think you should dive what you're comfortable with. But should YOU draw a line in the sand concerning what I'M allowed to do? Absolutely not. Will I dive dry in 84F water? No. Should I be allowed to? Yup. Do I care what you think as I'm gearing up? Absolutely not. Stating absolutes is absurd.

Not that it matters, but the wetsuit is of decent quality and fits very well.

I absolutely understand the benefits of a wetsuit and freediving fins. I agree that for certain missions, there's nothing better. However, it's not the only configuration a diver should have access to. It's also not the best for everybody and for all situations. If you won't dive with me because I'm diving dry, my feelings won't be hurt at all, you're free to dive how you want. What I will NOT stand for is you telling me how I can or cannot dive, or telling me that my setup is unsafe simply because it's not optimized for YOUR goals. It's safe for my purposes, which is all that matters to me.

I do not feel that I am right and that you are wrong. I feel that you are wrong. I'm not drawing a line in the sand saying that anybody diving in South FL in a drysuit is a moron or a dangerous diver or diving "substandard" equipment. I think you should dive what you're comfortable with. But should YOU draw a line in the sand concerning what I'M allowed to do? Absolutely not. Will I dive dry in 84F water? No. Should I be allowed to? Yup. Do I care what you think as I'm gearing up? Absolutely not. Stating absolutes is absurd.

Not that it matters, but the wetsuit is of decent quality and fits very well.

I absolutely understand the benefits of a wetsuit and freediving fins. I agree that for certain missions, there's nothing better. However, it's not the only configuration a diver should have access to. It's also not the best for everybody and for all situations. If you won't dive with me because I'm diving dry, my feelings won't be hurt at all, you're free to dive how you want. What I will NOT stand for is you telling me how I can or cannot dive, or telling me that my setup is unsafe simply because it's not optimized for YOUR goals. It's safe for my purposes, which is all that matters to me.
And at no time did I try to tell You how to dive....If we can't discuss gear that is better or worse without offending someone...then we have gotten to becoming such a nanny state that everyone here should be ashamed.

Don't turn this into a "nanny state" argument. I believe firmly that Darwinism should be allowed to run its course. I'm completely open to a discussion about dive gear and dive techniques, and you haven't offended me. That's not the issue.

Back on topic: the question was redundant buoyancy in warm weather for deco purposes. Pete said he uses a balanced rig, diving all aluminum tanks and no backplate (due to sidemount). I don't dive deco but am about to start. I dive dry very often. If it's too warm for a drysuit, I'd probably move to a lift bag. My tanks are heavy steels, but I guess depending on the situation I could move to rented alu tanks. I think I just need to practice using a lift bag for buoyancy. I'd probably get a giant lift bag and use it as a wing, but with a reel attached....so if I have to I can let it go and use it as an "anchor line" to climb up. I'd probably need heavier line on my reel, though. I'll have to look at tensile strength of rope and then whatever reduction in that my knots are providing.

Dan, how do YOU deal with the need for redundant buoyancy in the tropics?

Pete said he uses a balanced rig, diving all aluminum tanks and no backplate (due to sidemount).
Thanks for also trying to bring this back to the topic. However, I feel a need to clarify.

More often than not, I dive a back mounted single steel 130 tank here in Key Largo. I have to add two pounds (ditchable) so I consider that a balanced rig and have no need for redundant buoyancy.

If I dive more than one steel tank, as in side mount, I feel a need for redundant buoyancy. My Hollis SMS 100 has that built in with dual bladders. I've had to make use of that redundancy once, while only a hundred feet back in a cave. It could have been a thousand feet back and it wouldn't have mattered, because it worked flawlessly. I don't often dive side mount off of a boat. Why? It just doesn't make sense to me. I have to admit that I have made the plunge with a steel back mounted twinset and no redundant buoyancy other than carrying a lift bag and an SMB. After this last butt dump failure at Peacock, I am rethinking my decision making process on that. I think I'll have to do a simulation bladder failure and do my ascent with an SMB the next time I am doing a deep drift dive. I guess I'll try to use the SMB to make me neutral first and then I'll try it with the SMB on the surface and just pull myself up.

FWIW, I find neutral buoyancy far, far easier with less protection. I like the freedom of not wearing any wetsuit although I have really begun to like my WetWear shorty. Recently, Gamble finally fixed my Fusion drysuit so that I can don it without a lot of hassle. My hands are way too big for most drysuits and my knuckles are often skinned and sore by the time I get one on. On one occasion, I ripped the shoulder seam and on another I pulled the wrist seal right off of the sleeve. I think Gamble has resolved that for me and I do need to get into that suit just to see.

Don't turn this into a "nanny state" argument. I believe firmly that Darwinism should be allowed to run its course. I'm completely open to a discussion about dive gear and dive techniques, and you haven't offended me. That's not the issue.

Back on topic: the question was redundant buoyancy in warm weather for deco purposes. Pete said he uses a balanced rig, diving all aluminum tanks and no backplate (due to sidemount). I don't dive deco but am about to start. I dive dry very often. If it's too warm for a drysuit, I'd probably move to a lift bag. My tanks are heavy steels, but I guess depending on the situation I could move to rented alu tanks. I think I just need to practice using a lift bag for buoyancy. I'd probably get a giant lift bag and use it as a wing, but with a reel attached....so if I have to I can let it go and use it as an "anchor line" to climb up. I'd probably need heavier line on my reel, though. I'll have to look at tensile strength of rope and then whatever reduction in that my knots are providing.

Dan, how do YOU deal with the need for redundant buoyancy in the tropics?
Hi Victor,
First I would have to separate this into two discussions...the "redundant buoyancy issue for recreational, and then the one for tech.
For recreational, there is never a depth I will reach, or a water temp too low, for a semi-dry suit like my wife Sandra just got to keep me warm....He;*, I'm still in my 2.5 mil wetsuit now! With 90% of these dives using a 80 cu ft Al tank, there is really no buoyancy concern going on--for me, or really for anyone I know that dives like this....the tank is so easy to swim up that this is a non-issue.....We also own some extremely heavy HP100's...which Sandra and I got more for Dry suit diving.....If I use one of these with my 2.5 mil suit and my 19 pound lift wing....at 60 or 100 feet deep feet deep, I am practically fully inflated to be dead neutral. My backplate is 6 pounds, add the sta and big video cannister light --try around 9 pounds...and the heavy tank is like 8 pounds....Now, I can easily swim this to the surface, especially with my big Dive R Freedive fins, or with Excellerating Force Fins, or Extra Force Fins...it might be a little challenge with Jet fins on....but typically I would not use this combo.....If I need more air for a 110 foot deep wreck dive, the better plan is a low pressure 120--which I can jack to being a 170 if I really want to :) It makes me only about 14 pounds negative--not so bad as the hp100....still not really the right tank for the small 19 pound wing..but for the 2 blue moons a year where I decide this is what I need, this will work....Sandra has the Halcyon 30 pound wing, so for her, this is fine. I think this is more about deciding what is a good tank to be using.

If we are talking tech....even though this is the tropics, we get thermoclines often at 120 to 200 feet deep...and it can go from 79 in summer at the surface, to 53 on the bottom at 280. So any wetsuit, including the semi dry, is not going to do the job well....particularly as most wet suits have compressed so much at 280 feet, that they are about as warm as lycra at that depth....So here I really do have a desire to wear my TLS 350 Drysuit....with double 80 aluminums and a 30 cu ft al bottle with 100% O2 for deco. Dive duration is limited to 25 minutes--which allows this volume of gas to support me and Bill Mee, or one of my other buddies, even if one of us has a failure.
If I have a wing failure, I can swim this rig up from the bottom easily, without using the drysuit as an elevator :)
I don't believe in using larger and heavier tanks than the double 80's in ocean....280 is deep enough for the dive sites I care about, and we see alot in 25 minutes of bottom time...There are too many tradeoffs you have to begin losing benefits with, if you decide to start going much deeper, or much longer.

Conceptually, I am AGAINST REDUNDANT BUOYANCY-- I think this implies the diver is using the WRONG TANK, or is for some reason, so HEAVY on the dive that they need an elevator to get from the bottom to the surface.
REdundancy for me--is replaced by not being insanely heavy on the bottom--and by having fins on that offer propulsion that can easily carry even a good sized anchor up from the bottom if freediving ( or wearing a tank, and without using the BC for this). So my Dive R Freedive fins are sort of my alternative to redundant Buoyancy--in that I know that I can always swim myself or my buddy, up to the surface--and will never need an external elevator to assist me. These don't work well if I was doing a serious penetration in a wreck--but....there are few of these worthwhile to do...there is no gold or diamond stash to be found--and the best marine life is outside or just inside in the big easy access chambers where the freedive fins are fine....
[video=youtube_share;xKUgKhvcELk]http://youtu.be/xKUgKhvcELk[/video]
This wreck has the kind of penetration easily done with my big Dive R freediving fins---the ceiling is high, and there is no way I will silt in this environment....I wish I could say that for some of the other divers that enter into the wreck with normal small fins :)
There is actually a lower "room" right under this chamber--and it is tight with a low overhead...so it would be a place to use the Extra Force Fins.....the thing to get me down into it--is that sometimes a dozen or more of the goliaths are hanging out down in there--but this lower room dive is a serious and REAL Penetration dive, and the danger issue goes up by several orders of magnitude....You go from a really fun and easy dive--with great video opportunities, to a dive with some serious planning required--and where you MUST have only optimal dive buddies--and 2 of them, as on a high challenge dive, the video guy ( no matter how much they try to be attentive), is not always watching the buddies--he is watching the video subject---and so the video guy is really a dependent buddy.

---------- Post added December 6th, 2013 at 12:27 PM ----------

Let me share a "redundant Buoyancy" fatality story....
Back in the 90's, there was a tech diving instruction accident...the thread ran for months, and was called Divers Supply Triple Death Tragedy.
While I could go into great detail on this, as my team did many dozens of dives over many miles of deep reef in a vain attempt to find John Claypool's body ( a close friend of my brother's--and if there is no body found, a family can lose everything when there is no insurance pay off, from no proof of death).....

So...after MANY horrific errors of judgement, which led to one of the students running completely out of gas at around 260 to 280 feet deep....with the instructor Andre Smith choosing NOT to share gas with his OOA student....Smith and the others found that their heavy steel doubles and heavy steel stages, had them so heavy on the bottom that they could not swim up--initially, could not get the body off the bottom, and subsequent to this, had a hard time getting themselves off of the bottom...
So, from the account of the lone survivor, Andre decides to send up a lift bag, and to use this to get sufficient lift to reach the surface...potentially to help with the body as well.
Andre shoots the bag, but it has so much lift and he is so heavy, that the bag gets away from him, and shoots to the surface--no longer connected to andre, as it has the reel with it.

Claypool and the lone survivor, made multiple launches for the surface, which were visible as a see-saw series of depth reads on the computer of the survivor, and finally they made it to 100 feet, after many tries...they were quite hypothermic, as they were wearing thick wetsuits, which were useless on the bottom depth....bottom was in the high 50's or low 60's ( don't recall exactly). Claypool waits a few minutes, realizes his friend Andre was not making it up, so Claypool goes back down, after him, never to be seen again.
Andre apparently stripped himself out of his doubles, and tried, but failed to free ascend.....and bloat from three weeks or so underwater brought him to the surface a month later....where a fishing boat spotted a school of sharks on the surface, investigated, and found the dead Andre, bloated and floating with no tanks on.

Moral to the story? So many mistakes were made in pairing heavy steels, thick wetsuits, bungee wings in very cold water( speculation that the bungees tightened in the cold, and would not allow full inflation for the big wings they were wearing), an instructor leading by swiming 15 feet in front of students, not visually aware that one of the students ( the one that went OOA), was bumping into the bottom constantly, and could not swim well with his heavy weighting and malfunctioning BC. ....and there is speculation that Andre may have been diving deep on air...another reason he ditched his tanks to remove evidence....this ties to the shop and boat purposely giving us the wrong inituial dive site locations, as well as trying to keep us out of the water the first few days after the accident....The Sheriffs Department intervened, and ASKED us to find Claypool . But another moral to be learned is that even a very strong diver, in an emergency situation, may very easily FAIL to be able to hang on to a high inflation lift device not securely strapped to them like a BC or parachute. Sure there were proceedural errors in his deployment, but the idea is that a wing failure has precipitated a catastrophic emergency--you are stuck to the bottom like a hard hat diver with no line to the surface.....This is a scenario for absolute panic--or at least less than ideal skills performance based on anxiety..the deep air multiplier would be the icing on the cake..... This incident was one of the factors that led George and Bill Me and I, to push so hard for the concept of a "balanced Rig" you could swim off the bottom, and for not using heavy steel doubles on ocean dives--and IF you must, to NOT use them with wetsuits on Tech dives where they would lose their buoyancy and thermal protection.

The impossibility, while doing technical dives, of always having a neutral rig or of having discardable weights makes it more complicated to plan for loss of BCD function than in recreational dives. This is often solved by using a drysuit. This solution, however, presents a problem in places with hot air temperatures.

I agree that the concept of redundant buoyancy needs a recreational and technical discussion, but this thread was started specifically with deco dives in mind.

As for recreational, I agree that the vast majority of tanks would still allow a single-tank diver to swim up from the bottom in case of a failure. Another option would be relying on a buddy's BCD. My wife and I did this when her BCD inflator hose failed. She was able to swim up, but using my BCD for both of us was much easier....especially with her old wetsuit compressing aggressively at 100ft. The worst case scenario involves ditching anything heavy (tank, bpw, lead, etc) in an attempt to become less negative (or positive) and CESA to the surface. Better bent than dead, right?

As for technical, I don't know what I'd do. My diving is in caves, and I haven't yet progressed to multiple stages. I don't dive doubles, and my main SM tanks are Worthington HP100s. Those are very negative. Without a drysuit, I would truly have to reconsider diving those. They work VERY well for SM in a drysuit, but I'd be worried about being that negative with a wetsuit on.

It sems like your approach is to mitigate the need for redundant buoyancy by diving a balanced rig, but I'm not sure if that's always possible. Double AL80s, an AL80 stage, an AL80 of EAN50, and an AL40 of O2. That's a lot of gas....almost 30lbs worth of just breathing gas. A 30# swing is difficult to handle, wet or dry, steel or alu. Am I wrong here?

Dan, Thanks for the clear writeup on your diving philosophy. I've been following this thread closely because I do tech diving in the tropics with a wetsuit. You make a clear case for your style of diving, but it's never as simple as "one size fits all". Where I dive there is no thermocline, and I need more gas volume, using rule of thirds, than Al80s deliver, not for me but for my customers. I've been doing this a long time, and I think I have the right tools for the job. I can see how the triple death tragedy would color your thinking for the rest of your life, but the planning and execution errors they made are too numerous to list. So don't look down your nose at me for diving steels in a wetsuit and I won't look sideways at you for diving dry in the tropics.

It sems like your approach is to mitigate the need for redundant buoyancy by diving a balanced rig, but I'm not sure if that's always possible. Double AL80s, an AL80 stage, an AL80 of EAN50, and an AL40 of O2. That's a lot of gas....almost 30lbs worth of just breathing gas. A 30# swing is difficult to handle, wet or dry, steel or alu. Am I wrong here?

Hi Victor,
See my tanks on the 280 foot dive, include just the double 80's and the 30 cu ft bottle of O2. I don't want that extra stage bottle--it has way to much drag, and it is more to move around--level or vertical. I don't want to bring that much gas with me....I'll plan my duration for what my buddy team and I can safely accomplish with just this.... Deep ocean out here off Palm Beach..or even off Lauderdale, there are ocean currents that effect what you will do on many dives. We want to be as slick as possible, so that no matter what happens, we can be as mobile as we desire to be....
Imagine we decided that we just had to stay down for 45 minutes at 300 feet....the huge amount of extra bottom gas, travel and deco gas, would put us into major disadvantages if strong ocean currents or storms developed....and if a buddy gets injured, you have so much mandatory deco you just can't "blow off", that the injured buddy is pretty much hosed. So...we limit depth and duration to decos that are not terribly long--and which in an emergency, can be shortened significantly....On body recovery dives with major topside issues going on, George and I have done 280 for 15, with less than 20 minutes of deco and no noticeable effects--this from the "shape" of the ascent profile, 100% O2 at 20 feet, and both buddies having high VO2 max for off-gassing potential. Just saying....if we had been to 300 for 45, we'd be pulling deco for over an hour, no matter what we thought we knew, or how high our VO2max was.
If someone is severely injured, 20 minutes of waiting, versus 2 or more hours of waiting could easily mean life or death. Contingency planning has always been part of DIR. This IS why I don't use monster doubles, and why I don't do huge bottom times.
I am not telling anyone here not to...this is what my buddies and I do.

---------- Post added December 6th, 2013 at 02:49 PM ----------

Dan, Thanks for the clear writeup on your diving philosophy. I've been following this thread closely because I do tech diving in the tropics with a wetsuit. You make a clear case for your style of diving, but it's never as simple as "one size fits all". Where I dive there is no thermocline, and I need more gas volume, using rule of thirds, than Al80s deliver, not for me but for my customers. I've been doing this a long time, and I think I have the right tools for the job. I can see how the triple death tragedy would color your thinking for the rest of your life, but the planning and execution errors they made are too numerous to list. So don't look down your nose at me for diving steels in a wetsuit and I won't look sideways at you for diving dry in the tropics.

Hey, no problem.... I used to dive to 280 alot back in our deep air days before 1995, before trimix....with a lycra suit on.....This started because I crushed and destroyed 2 normal wetsuits--they could not take the depth crushing....it ruined them....and at 280, the lycra suit was as warm as the wetsuit, anyway....I would have been THRILLED with Polartech or one of the high tech fabrics skins of today
--back then :)

The lycra suit was fine for the 280 foot stuff, and it made the wing almost irrelevant....weighting would not change more than the few pounds for my double 72's ( jacked to 3000 :)
I'd have a hood stuffed away in a pocket for the hour long deco--which is where I would get chilly sometimes.

So, your solution to "How to deal with multiple tanks" is "Just don't do it" ?

Back
Top Bottom