Redundant Bouyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is better. Two single bladders or one dual bladder? Reason I am asking is heading to Keys to finish Trimix training. Did all previous diving in Great Lakes with dry suit. Well, going to dive wetsuit in Keys. I have a 60lb wing and a 45lb wing, already. Would this work or should I buy a 60lb dual bladder.

Great question. I too dive tec and utilize my dry suit as redundant bouyancy. Same thing, I may do my trimix in FL Keys instead of the Great Lakes. Much warmer down there so I do not plan on using my dry suit. My question is, should I use a dual bladder wing or take to single bladder wings and hook them up to my doubles? I already have two single bladder wings but I would have to go out and buy the dual bladder wings. Any thoughts?

I have seen both used, and have used both. I prefer the dual bladder encased in a single unit. But that is a preference just like using a redundant bladder vs drysuit.

IMHO the biggest concern is you and your buddy being very comfortable with your gear config.

In any config can you stow, retrieve and manage both inflator hoses?

Can you retrieve and disconnect the LP hose on both inflator hoses??

Cheers

Steve

What is better. Two single bladders or one dual bladder? Reason I am asking is heading to Keys to finish Trimix training. Did all previous diving in Great Lakes with dry suit. Well, going to dive wetsuit in Keys. I have a 60lb wing and a 45lb wing, already. Would this work or should I buy a 60lb dual bladder.

There's a lot of posts of the 40 in this thread that have gone over this ad naseum. Have you read them?

Dry suit gives you more viable options in tank and exposure options.

Wet suit is more suitable with closer to neutral tanks which can reduce/eliminate the need for redundant wing-age in a lot of cases. You really shouldn't have to buy yet another wing to deal with an issue that can be better solved with the gear you already own.

But it's your money.

Personally, long exposure deep trimix dives with multiple bottles just begs a dry suit, wouldn't you agree?

Save yourself the $ and just stack your 2 current wings assuming they are compatable and functional with your wet suit and the balance of your kit. I use 2 seprat wings during wet suit deep/long trimix dives with good results (65lbs.-prem and 40lbs.-redn.). IMO

In any config can you stow, retrieve and manage both inflator hoses?

Can you retrieve and disconnect the LP hose on both inflator hoses??

Cheers

Steve

Kinda makes the point that this is a rather second-rate and un-neccessary convoluted way of making something as simple as back-up buoyancy a reality doesn't it?

I think it must be too obvious that a dry suit affords better exposure protection for longer immersions without the nonsense of additional wings, inflators, hoses........

It's like having one piece of gear performing two functions very well..................oh wait, that's exactly what it is :)

I wonder who the Ghosts' mix instructor is up here and if he was even asked what he thought about this.

Can someone tell me what the difference is between a Drysuit and a Dualbladder Wing? I understand that a Drysuit give's the warmth for long deco's, but there is an extra hose eitherway. What is the difference of having the hose hooked up on the Wing or the Drysuit? You can say its a feilure point eitherway.

I always wear a dry suit when diving in the Great Lakes region. However, the owner/instructor of the Keys operation said I would most likely be too hot to dive a dry suit during the summer months, which is when I plan on doing my mix class, the summer. He said you can dive the Keys in a dry suit most of the year but Jul or Aug maybe too hot so you may want to dive a wet suit. Just trying to get a consensus if people stack wings (60lb, 45lb) or dive dual.

WillardJ, dry suit is used for both warmth and redundant bouyancy. Only downside is if your diving in a hot environment and the water temp is in the 80's. Can get uncomfortable. Dual bladder is used with a wetsuit when the diver has no other bouyancy back up. Some people use blow bags, but that is for another discussion.

WillardJ, dry suit is used for both warmth and redundant bouyancy. Only downside is if your diving in a hot environment and the water temp is in the 80's. Can get uncomfortable. Dual bladder is used with a wetsuit when the diver has no other bouyancy back up. Some people use blow bags, but that is for another discussion.

Why is it that I've read on some of these threads that dual bladder's are bad and a dry suit is the only thing for double steels?

I always wear a dry suit when diving in the Great Lakes region. However, the owner/instructor of the Keys operation said I would most likely be too hot to dive a dry suit during the summer months, which is when I plan on doing my mix class, the summer. He said you can dive the Keys in a dry suit most of the year but Jul or Aug maybe too hot so you may want to dive a wet suit. Just trying to get a consensus if people stack wings (60lb, 45lb) or dive dual.

Regardless of what a group of divers will tell you about it being totally wrong to use anything less than a dry suit for redundant bouyc. while diving doubles....it is 'ok' and is done all the time with diving wet and either a dual bladder wing or stacked wing. There are water conditions and climate conditions that just don't warrant a dry suit (partc. heavier neo cold water dry suits) were a wet suit of proper thickness is a fine choice. I did not have a dual bladder wing so I picked up a 'pretty new' wing to stack as a redundant bouyc. source. I persl. prefer the 2 wing set-up when diving wet suits/doubles,,,as if you do encounter damage to a dual bladder wing there is a pretty good chance both bladders may be compromised as in 2 seprate wings this is not the case. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom