Question Does anyone have any reports of carbon fiber backplates cracking/breaking?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to use the Diverite plastic plate. At some point, I became concerned about the structural integrity of the injected plastic and started investigating the Halcyon carbon fiber plate. I suspect that the thinner carbon fiber is stronger than the much thicker injected plastic. However, in the end, I just went to titanium and have not looked back. It is a little heavier than an aluminum plate, but much less than an equivalent stainless steel plate.

I used to use the Diverite plastic plate. At some point, I became concerned about the structural integrity of the injected plastic and started investigating the Halcyon carbon fiber plate. I suspect that the thinner carbon fiber is stronger than the much thicker injected plastic. However, in the end, I just went to titanium and have not looked back. It is a little heavier than an aluminum plate, but much less than an equivalent stainless steel plate.
Any reason why you avoid aluminum?

I don’t like the dissimilar metal corrosion maintenance issues between the aluminum plate and stainless steel fasteners. There is also the issue as to whether there might be any strength issues with the use of steel tanks with some aluminum plates.

The difference in weight between a titanium and an aluminum BP is 0.2-0.4 lbs for the standard BP shape. BP designs with more cuts like this one (Compare GHOST BCD - Buoyancy) are lighter that a standard shape titanium BP.

I love titanium but I would not pick one vs the other just to save weight.

I don't see any significant advantages of aluminum over titanium. That includes slightly less weight, appearance, and corrosion resistance. Aluminum does drill significantly easier than titanium, but I don't know how many people drill their plates. I do confess to drilling a lot of holes in my Diverite plastic plates, but that was because they did not come with accessory holes in the side. Titanium does cost more, but since it is a one time extra cost, not even that is very important.

I don’t like the dissimilar metal corrosion maintenance issues between the aluminum plate and stainless steel fasteners. There is also the issue as to whether there might be any strength issues with the use of steel tanks with some aluminum plates.
I use my aluminum plate for diving double 104's when in cave country. Never an issue. I think I paid $40 for it. Its not pretty, but it works.

As for the dissimilar metal issue, I dont leave it attached to anything when not in use.

Dissimilar metals shouldn't be an issue, so long as you care for the plate and fasteners and don't leave them attached for long periods of time. I would feel the strength issues would be more exacerbated with an ABS plastic, carbon fiber, or even a skeletonized titanium plate and twin steel cylinders than a solid aluminum plate. If you're referring to skeletonized aluminum not being ideal for steel doubles, I would agree.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom