Redundant bouyancy in DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wunat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
According to DSAT and some other agency, it is required for a technical diver to have a redundant BC (double bladder or a backup wing and etc.) What is the DIR's view in regards to back up bouyancy in tech diving?

In cold water your drysuit adds redundancy, however the main idea with DIR is to have a balanced rig. In this case, you should be able to swim it back up to the surface.

darylm74:
......you should be able to swim it back up to the surface.

How about in cases where your rig fail while we are at a needed deco stop?

I was diving with a DIR oriented tech shop (Halcyon dealer, offers GUE courses, etc.) but they also had to cater to non-DIR customers for business reasons, so when someone wanted a DSAT course they'd just stack two Halcyon wings one on top of the other for redundant buoyancy. So what's my point? Well, I don't have one as far as this topic goes, but posted anyway. Sorry.

*Floater*:
I was diving with a DIR oriented tech shop (Halcyon dealer, offers GUE courses, etc.) but they also had to cater to non-DIR customers for business reasons, so when someone wanted a DSAT course they'd just stack two Halcyon wings one on top of the other for redundant buoyancy. So what's my point? Well, I don't have one as far as this topic goes, but posted anyway. Sorry.

I think your subconcious point was just take the GUE classes. :wink:

wunat:
How about in cases where your rig fail while we are at a needed deco stop?

If you're doing mandatory deco dives, you're in the water long enough to wear a drysuit. So wear one. And bring a bag to shoot.

PerroneFord:
If you're doing mandatory deco dives, you're in the water long enough to wear a drysuit. So wear one. And bring a bag to shoot.

Dry suit in Thailand??? :huh: Way off!!! :D

Why way off? We use them in Florida. Water temps can be 80F+. No one said you had to wear anything underneath them, and they have nearly no thermal properties. Speaking of a shell suit, not a neoprene drysuit.

PerroneFord:
Why way off? We use them in Florida. Water temps can be 80F+. No one said you had to wear anything underneath them, and they have nearly no thermal properties. Speaking of a shell suit, not a neoprene drysuit.

Withdrawn by me.

Scubakevdm:
A shell with nothing underneath is quite uncomfortable, trust me on that one. I do plenty of dives in Florida where I prefer a wetsuit. They swim alot better than a drysuit.

Ok.

I don't doubt they swim better. But given *MY* preference, I would not be making mandatory deco dives without one. Of course, everyone is free to do as they please...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom