Redundant Bouyancy - Dual Bladder v. Lift Bag v. Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. My statement stands then: I'm not aware of any agency that insists on having a [built-in] redundant bladder wing

Well clarified. I think we were missing what you were getting at.

Are there many 'add-on' bladder options for wings? The only one I encountered was the Buddy 'Redwing' (Redundant Wing). I once, long long ago, owned one to use on my old Buddy Commando... it was IMHO a ghastly affair for doubles/tech.

Or do some people just use a second 'regular' wing added as a combo? Turned backwards to differentiate the LPIs/routing?

Or do some people just use a second 'regular' wing added as a combo? Turned backwards to differentiate the LPIs/routing?

That's what I was thinking of... the original context of my statement was regarding whether the OP should buy a redundant (built-in) wing or not - I suggested buying a single wing on the grounds that you could add redundant buoyancy (via lift bag, dry suit or second wing) at a later date, as required by the agency in question at that time (when doing your tech training)

PADI refer to it as "a backup BCD (double wings)", to me that doesn't indicate that the back-up has to be integral (built-in).

Whether they deliberately phrased it that way to allow 'add-on' buoyancy is debatable...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom