Question Red Sea RE Aggressor trips to Sudan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubajeg1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Our latest airlines ticket check from Atlanta - Istanbul - Hurghada on turkish air 21-24 hrs $ 1,400.00 FOR MAY 2023.

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Our latest airlines ticket check from Atlanta - Istanbul - Hurghada on turkish air 21-24 hrs $ 1,400.00 FOR MAY 2023.

That appears to be very reasonable. I rather fly Turkish than Swiss or Lufthansa (I used to fly Swiss extensively and accumulated over 0.5 million miles on Star Alliance). Swiss over Lufthansa (10 times better).

also_anon_dc

Contributor
Reaction score
I've done the Hurghada route on Turkish (from IAD) and it's not bad at all. I would definitely fly them again. Food is great and the seats are comfortable. You also get two free checked bags! Checking in at the Hurghada airport on the way home is kind of a mess but that would probably be the same with any airline.

dberry

Hydrophilic
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've done the Hurghada route on Turkish (from IAD) and it's not bad at all. I would definitely fly them again. Food is great and the seats are comfortable. You also get two free checked bags! Checking in at the Hurghada airport on the way home is kind of a mess but that would probably be the same with any airline.
We flew Turkish Airlines JFK to /from Hurghada via Istanbul last month (ca. $1300 USD). Overall it was fine but:
(1) my dive bag was described as "missing" with no further information; I had an Apple AirTag in it and located it at JFK, then in Istanbul the next day, so I knew I should be at the Hurghada airport that night to retrieve it just hours before the liveaboard sailed. Almost no help from Turkish Air. Also, I was told Egypt Air would deliver missing bags to hotels when they arrive, but Turkish does not (hence my round trip Uber to the airport at midnight. FWIW, Uber in Hurghada was great - much cheaper and easier than negotiating with the taxis.)

(2) our original return was supposed to start with the Hurghada -> Istanbul flight leaving at ca. 12:30AM. About 10 days before we left I got an email that the flight had been canceled and they moved us to the 4:45AM flight, which arrives in Istanbul at 8:30AM. Great, except the Istanbul -> JFK flight leaves at 7:30AM! Turkish did NOT automatically rebook us on the 1:30PM flight, nor did they even mention we needed to change the now-impossible connection!

(3) This wasn't a major deal, but we had booked (and paid for) 2 window seats near each other, but at check in they noticed we were traveling together and "helpfully" gave us middle and window seats. This happened going both ways, and we had to make an issue of it to get two window seats (and not the original ones we had been assigned.)

So, Turkish Airlines had a decent fare and very convenient travel times, but wasn't always as professional as you might expect some other airlines to be.

YMMV

Christian

Contributor
Reaction score
I’m glad you posted this question @scubadada and have @Ahmeddawood answered & cleared up some confusions.

Looking forward to joining you on one of these trips to Sudan / South Sudan.

I would like to see Thresher shark & schooling of hammerheads. I’d like to see the Sundan’s “hammerhead wall” relative to what I have seen in Banda Sea, Socorro, Cocos & Galapagos.

I only saw one or two hammerheads in Brothers Daedalus and Elphinstone (BDE) route. However seeing the Oceanic Whitetip (Carcharhinus Longimanus) in Elphinstone made that trip a memorable one. I hope Sudan would be better than BDE.

Hammerheads in spring in Sudan, March-April-May. Threasher inme, best chance in Brother Islands (Big Brother) in summer.

• Thanks
Reactions: Dan

Top Bottom