Red Sea Liveaboard with a non diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GirlonFire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am hoping to include a lob during a Middle East vacation with my boyfriend who is not a diver.
At the moment, September is looking like the month. The Grand Sea Serpent looks very interesting. Hoping for a more luxurious experience...
Has anyone been on that boat?
Any suggestions for other boats/routes a non diver would enjoy? He does snorkle and Wi-Fi would be necessary.
I have been on a lob in Komodo but went solo.

Thanks

When we dove the southern Red Sea route with Agressor a couple of years ago, wifi was limited to the marina and a handful of instances when we were close to land and towers. Would therefore suggest that once you narrow down choices by budget, route etc, that you reach out to the operator to nail down what kind of wifi you can expect. You might also want to consider day boats out of Sharm, Hurghada, or even Port Ghalib if wifi is a deal breaker. Lots of options out there.....

You might also want to consider day boats out of Sharm, Hurghada, or even Port Ghalib if wifi is a deal breaker. Lots of options out there.....
How is land based diving there?
What about Dahab? I read its a nice place for non diving activities and has a good selection of restaurants.

How is land based diving there?
What about Dahab? I read its a nice place for non diving activities and has a good selection of restaurants.

Look at Camel Divers

On the BDE route snorkelling isn't allowed at the islands on the route. I did northern Red Sea Wrecks & Reef LOB a couple of years ago and there where a few non-divers on the boat. Some of the sites were suitable for snorkelling, but not all of them. As mentioned above wifi is very patchy; on the northern route you might get a signal for half the route, BDE you won't get any signal apart from first and last days. If an internet connection is vital I would suggest getting a local sim card as I have always found hotel or LOB wifi to be very unreliable in Egypt.

In your situation I would probably look for a hotel with on site dive shop and house reef. Lots of the hotel in the Marsa Alam area have good house reefs for snorkelling, plus lots of local diving options.

Wi-Fi is not always available even at northern route; and mostly not exist or not reliable on southern route.
Dahab (shore diving) and Sharm (boat diving) are a good compromise if you traveling with non-diver partner. Not the best diving in Egypt though.
Between both, I personally prefer Dahab - nicer ambient and more laid back.

Camel Divers in Sharm

You'll get out to Thistlegorm and Ras Muhamed park and a great mittful of other sites. Rooms comfy and clean and food is good.

I went to a BDE route on Grand Sea Serpent this year. Internet was absent most of the time. Snorkelling not really an option vast majority of the time as well. You certainly can read all day long, but I guess that's it for the entertainment.

I had a lot of fun and enjoyed every bit of it, but for a non-diver I would absolutely discourage.
Let me know should you have any questions.

Back
Top Bottom