Sea Serpent Grand/Grand Sea Explorer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A friend and I are looking to a Red Sea liveaboard in September and are currently considering the Sea Serpent Grand / Grand Sea Explorer (my understanding is that it’s the same boat, and spots are sold by both companies). I haven’t been able to find any recent trip reports or reviews (I don’t consider 2012 reviews recent). We are looking at doing the North & Brothers route, as it’ll be a first time in the area for both of us. Does anybody have comments on this boat/route? Other suggestions that may offer better value for money are also appreciated. Thanks!

I ran a trip on that boat last October, but on the Southern route. I was only on the boat one night, in port, and spent the rest of the trip in quarantine in a Hughada hotel. Bummer. But the folks on the trip reported back to me....
Note that the crew on the boat (at least, the DMs) rotate among the Serpent fleet boats, so you never know who you are going to get. My folks reported that the crew seemed intent on high-adrenalin dives -- big animals, deep, currents -- and were only tolerant of those who preferred pretty fishes and reefs and poking around; it took a few days for the crew to get adjusted to their clientele.
Rooms were OK.
Food was plentiful and pretty good.

A friend and I are looking to a Red Sea liveaboard in September and are currently considering the Sea Serpent Grand / Grand Sea Explorer (my understanding is that it’s the same boat, and spots are sold by both companies). I haven’t been able to find any recent trip reports or reviews (I don’t consider 2012 reviews recent). We are looking at doing the North & Brothers route, as it’ll be a first time in the area for both of us. Does anybody have comments on this boat/route? Other suggestions that may offer better value for money are also appreciated. Thanks!
HI Oreocookie (great name!), sorry for the delayed response on this. The thread was missed.

Grand Sea Explorer/Sea Serpent Grand is the same vessel, you are correct. However, the packages are different. People booking through Explorer Ventures Fleet for this vessel receive an exclusive package. You can read what that includes here - Exclusive Red Sea Diving Packages: Premium amenities and more - Explorer Ventures Fleet®

For reviews - hop over to Trustpilot here: In Search of Longimanus • Scuba Diver Life

The editor from Scuba Diver Life just returned from Grand Sea Explorer and you can read about her experience here, with images: In Search of Longimanus • Scuba Diver Life

As always, give us a call if you have any questions. +1.307.235.0683

HI Oreocookie (great name!), sorry for the delayed response on this. The thread was missed.
Hi Rachel, while the response may have been delayed, the timing is still good. With Stéphane’s help, we made our reservation earlier this week, so now the anticipation can begin. The review you linked did not hurt that at all… crossing my fingers for whale sharks and oceanic whitetips at Brothers.

Hi Rachel, while the response may have been delayed, the timing is still good. With Stéphane’s help, we made our reservation earlier this week, so now the anticipation can begin. The review you linked did not hurt that at all… crossing my fingers for whale sharks and oceanic whitetips at Brothers.

whaleshark in september at Brothers islands, I don't think so, but who knows... hope you'll be lucky

oceanic whitetips (longimanus) will be there, for sure... don't be afraid of them, read about longimanus

Had to be in fury shoals ‘2021’ in sept to see whale shark 🙌🤟😃

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom