RED ALERT ! Wife is pregnant - we went diving 2 weeks ago in Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone.
1st time poster here.

Im with my wife 5 years;..... married .6 years
We do the natural birth control - (track her menstrual cycle) no chemicals.
We have been successful at this practice for 5 years.
Ok heres the score; I shot life into my wife on August 21st 2013 in Cancun.
Due to our many years of success with the natural birth control; we were not worried at all about her getting pregnant.
We went on a dive 5 days later. max depth 40Ft. - 2 dives @ .5 hours each dive - 45 minute break in between both dives.
It is now September 13th 2013 and she is 1 day late on her period. - her cycle is like clockwork; so this is odd.
She took 2 pregnancy tests earlier today and both say positive.
This will be our 1st baby.
Is the bay in any danger due to the dive?
Any ideas?

Relax. I am not a doctor, I don't even play one on TV, but I would think you, your wife and the baby are all fine. There have been several studies about diving while pregnant. Most have been inconclusive. To my knowledge there has never been an established link between diving while pregnant and fetal abnormalities. Women are cautioned against it because there just is not enough information to deem it safe…or unsafe. Many women dive during their first trimester with no ill effect. 5 days into your pregnancy should have no effect, according to the limited reading I have done.

Really, what difference does it make? What's done is done, and you play the hand you're dealt. If you were playing with "Natural birth control", you were expecting to have a kid sooner or later anyway. Rejoice, and it really doesn't matter if it was affected or not, it's not like you did or can do anything about it anyway.

But she does need to quit smoking, drinking, and dropping acid now. :)

Robert Arak nailed it . . . the studies which have been done have been inconclusive. If there is an increased risk of birth defects, it is small. Given the dates you are talking about, I doubt that there would have been much of any effect at all, given that there was no circulatory system present to develop bubbles. Relax -- as already said, it will be what it will be, and there are other factors that are probably more important.

The baby will most certainly be born bent.....

All kidding aside, I'm more worried about the term "shot life into my wife" than I am the health of the baby:shocked2:

There shouldn't be any problem from the diving. Do make sure that she gets on prenatal vitamins immediately. Ideally, I like to have my patients on prenatal vitamins before pregnancy but as soon as they find out is very important. Spinal development requires a high dose of Folic acid and this occurs very early in the development of the fetus.

The baby will most certainly be born bent.....

All kidding aside, I'm more worried about the term "shot life into my wife" than I am the health of the baby:shocked2:

That got me too. I think I blushed.

If I remember my OB, I doubt the embryo was even implanted yet so the risk should be virtually zero.

BTW, congratulations and I am impressed that you made it 5 years!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom