Recycling a cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very nice mailbox!! I would say that they cut the tank just below the boot to help with rain. I don't think a baseball bat would do much of anything to that tank.

What a great idea. Re-use and recycling at its finest.

A tank bottom is heavy and might be a tough door to keep closed. Put a flat piece of sheetmetal in the bottom of the boot to cover the hole in it. That's a door. The boot is like a gasket to seal the rain out, and a simple little piece of sheetmetal could provide friction to hold it in place.

Maybe the owner can tell us more.

as for rain, when I make mine (If I make it), I figured I'd go a little "low tech" on helping to keep water out by simply 'tilting' that end of the mailbox down about 5 degrees or so. that way even if the door got left open, any water that got in it would primarily drain out for the most part (instead of filling up the mailbox). A couple small drain holes centerline of the bottom side of the mailbox wouldn't hurt either.

here's one more pic of it so you can see how it's pole is in the ground.

10927e9e-0584-420f-bcb9-7d72659ecf9.jpg

Daughter (Engineering student) says:

Cut off bottom of tank and discard, so it is short like this picture. Cut a hole in the bottom of the boot and affix a hinged sheetmetal disc for the door. Slide the boot up the tank until it stops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom