Recycling a cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The recycler doesn't know what he is talking about. The explosion risk is only if it still had a valve. But, I would cut the top off and use it for a regulator display stand and use the bottom for a trash can.

Your in Indy? I am in Ohio. I need one for a display with my old stuff. I'd pay shipping.

I was told I had to cut one in half as well. That was in Orlando, FL. Maybe it is like my former employer. We made aircraft parts, and any scrap items had to be cut up prior to recyclying. We didn't want anyone grabbing those things and putting 737 parts on eBay.

These ideas are all good but the problem is I don't want to pay a machine shop to cut it in 1/2 and then drive across town again on $3/gal gasoline for the $10 I will get for it as scrap. And as much as I like buying new tools, that's not really cost effective either...

I was told I had to cut one in half as well. That was in Orlando, FL. Maybe it is like my former employer. We made aircraft parts, and any scrap items had to be cut up prior to recyclying. We didn't want anyone grabbing those things and putting 737 parts on eBay.

Maybe the mistook it for a propane tank :shakehead: Its pretty standard to have those cut in half prior to disposal.

Heck, if the TSA will let you on a plane with a valveless tank...

I want one for a mail box... .

I've been wanting to do that also since I saw the below pic.

any ideas on how to make the "door" on it and keep it somewhat sealed from rain?

0a27023d-c77d-4f7b-ab2b-cd4cf8e4068.jpg

That was a couple of years ago. Aluminum prices were up. It was $25 for the tank if I cut it in half, or they would do it for $2.50.

It's a nice "US Divers", 1973, with thermo valve, inspected and perfect inside. I put it on eBay advising to check about fills locally. A guy from Tennessee bought it as he had one just like it, and fills were no isssue. You could say we recycled it without melting it down.

I thought about putting it on eBay but didn't feel right about it. I don't see any neck cracks on inspection but I don't have an eddy current tester. It's out of hydro anyway.

That mailbox is awesome. I think the cylindrical design would help deflect the snow from the plows that take out so many up here. It would also help discourage the baseball bat smashing kids.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom