Recurring Costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scadreau

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Assuming all equipment is paid for and you are only paying for consumables (scrubber, diluent, o2, sensors, etc), what are the recurring costs per say 100 hours on a rebreather? Assuming you are throwing He in the mix for the dives.

Do not include any deco gas in the costs.

I understand that there are other variables, but take your personal experience and use that number and state what conditions caused that number.

Thank you,

Scott

For a 100 hours here are some rough numbers on my rEvo:

I run four cells or sensors and change one out every three months so at any time the oldest cell is less than one year old. So that's 4 x $75-100=$300-400

Sorb the canisters hold aprox 9# sorb and you change out one every three hours (4.5#) or both every 5 hours in the warm waters of Florida. So 100/3=33 x 4.5# = 148.5 or 100/5=20 x 9=180#s at 44# per keg at $129 per keg is $435-527

Dil and o2 fills I get for $5/ea. I try to fill before every dive just to be on the safe side. Let's say the average dive is 2 hours that's 50 fills x $10 (5 for dil, 5 for o2) is $500.

So....
$300-400 cells
$435-527 sorb
$500 fills using trimix

$1235-1427 total per 100 hours...that's using 100 hours/year and the fill rate is probably high, as much as 50% high but for budgeting better to guess high than low.

Last edited:
Also, don't underestimate the recurring cost of buying another rebreather.
Seems to happen to quite a few of us ... :shocked2:

:D

The rEvo axial scrubbers holds 2.7 kg of sorb total, which is about 6 lbs my dear :D

The rEvo radial scrubbers holds 9 lbs total

well my scrubber will hold 9# after you buy me a radial scrubber kit for christmas :kiss2:

Assuming all equipment is paid for and you are only paying for consumables (scrubber, diluent, o2, sensors, etc), what are the recurring costs per say 100 hours on a rebreather? Assuming you are throwing He in the mix for the dives.

Do not include any deco gas in the costs.

I understand that there are other variables, but take your personal experience and use that number and state what conditions caused that number.

Thank you,

Scott

Estimate for 100 hours of cave diving
Sorb 130.00 for 44 lbs
5 lb axial scrubber

75 x 3 = 225.00 cells
3 x 130 = 390.00 sorb
50 x 4 = 200 dil
50 x 4 = 200 O2

$1015.00 excluding helium

Helium costs about 200 psi a dive.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only thing I see left out is regulator first stage services (one dill, one O2). Also O2 lube (still one my first tube after two years), replacement seals here and there, and batteries for your computers.

Something else to consider in factoring costs is the price of gas fills. CCR gas fills average less than $25, considering some dives on Trimix and some on Air diluent. Each fill (oxygen plus diluent tanks) lasts up to 6+ dives (depending upon duration and profile). However, to be conservative, let's say that we get an average of only 4 dives per fill.

On the other hand, if you are making dives on open circuit using Trimix, the average fill of $100 (sometimes less Helium, sometimes more) x only 30 dives per year = $3,000. Throw in some Nitrox fills of another $10 each at 30 dives per year = $300.

So, if you consider making 60 dives per year, half on Trimix and half not, you are looking at $3,300 for open circuit fills versus less than $500 for CCR. Even if you add in another $1,100 for scrubber and sensors, you are at half or less cost overall for CCR versus open circuit.

Obviously, your diving habits (air, Nitrox, Trimix) will affect the final numbers. However, CCRs can end out saving money in the long run for divers that dive frequently enough with Trimix.

So, when your significant other sees that credit card statement with the charge for the new rebreather on it, you can say: "You see, honey, look at all I am saving!" :)

if you dive a lot you can defray the costs of cells over more dives and use sorb more efficiently (throw out less), if you dive infrequently, the overall cost per dive will tend to go up (cells age whether in use or not, more unused sorb gets dumped).

I buy my sorb in bulk, bank a variety of gasses and use a trans fill whip. my gas fills are cheap!

I figure my running cost per hour of diving is around that of paying for nitrox fills on OC. I am in total denial about the actual cost per hour if taking overall investment in the rebreather, bank tanks, trimix analyzer and all the other gadgetry into account.:D

the bummer is that as the family is growing, the time for diving diminishes.:depressed:

g

Way too cost prohibitive for my limited diving. I doubt I will ever use CCR, not out of prejudice, just no means to pay for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom