Recurring Costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd second that! I can't imagine going off the eastern US with a hookah. The only folks who use them around my area are some of the golf ball divers. $3k will get you a decent set of gear and some doubles.

Diving is expensive, rebreather diving even more so! Of course it does not help that the guy who makes my rebreather seems to come out with an even more cool, new model about every 18 months!

Ed

The hookah is very good for using while washing your boat bottom, too.

I have to agree that it doesn't help when your RB's mfgr upgrades only a couple of years after buying your unit. I'm waiting for my "new and improved" head and handsets, which will set me back...well, they're not cheap.

Still, how else can you do one 6-hour dive each day for 5 or 6 days straight, without carrying multiple stage bottles into and out of caves each day for refills? I agree RBs are expensive, but when you need one the cost isn't as big a deal as you once though it would be. It's why I have the signature line I have.

Everyone is right. Thats why they make different set ups. Whats good for one guy,might not fit the other guys style. For me,theirs not much to see. I plan on doing alot of drift diving. Maybe ill get a couple of lobsters,or shoot a couple of flounder for dinner.Also ill be metal detecting around the shores where old peirs use to be,but are no longer.Now i have a bad back and taking tanks in and out of the truck is worst than just one 55lb hookah.I bought a pedal kayak with wheels. i just put my hookah on the kayak and roll everything down to the water. so their not alot of carrying.Then during the summer time. The ride ,time and cost to get air takes hours.It would cost me $30.00 a day in gas and air.I don't plan of doing alot of deep diving. But when i do. I will have a regular scuba tank as a back up, if need be.Hookahs aren't for everyone,just like rebreathers arent for everyone. Each has its place. I dont cut down rebreathers because they cost to much. They have their place and have alot of great uses. But for the little guy,doing what i am. Its to much money. Whay does everyone need to go wreck diving,where everyone else has allready been? Maybe get luck and find something that was missed,or just look at a neat wreck.Im doing research and looking where people tend to over look. Alot of wrecks come ashore. Some are deep.But what im doing is research ,metal detecting. The price of gold has gone up like another $25.00. People lose alot of rings and stuff in deeper water. Ill be doing that at times also. Just one pine tree shilling in good shape,and i could retire. HA HA But i tend to agree that tanks are one of the better ways to go. But im happy with what ive got and im doing. Im not a follower,im a leader.By being different,you would be surprised at what a difference it can make. Sure i love wreck diving. I just like diving and being underwater doing anything. Ive was a commerical fisherman for 25 years. Other people would say ,whats out here thats interesting. They would see nothing. But its knowing whats going on with the ocean that brings it alive. Big fish push little fish to the surface. Then birds dive to catch the smaller fish. Things along thoses lines.Its a mistery of not knowing what youre going to find next.Ive gotten many nice fine's with my metal detector.300 year old coins,rings,musket balls,etc. You bring up interesting facts about the hookah. You can't bring it anywhere. So you rent a tank or buy one. If you into this sport which cost alot of money. Then adding one tank isnt going to break the bank. You allready have everything else you need.I can use the hookah for lift bags and not run to the dive shop with 1/2 a tank of air. Great subject.Frankie

Frankie... we're not trying to convert you... It's not amway...

I know your not trying to convert me. I would love to have the best scuba and training. Im just at a different level of diving and stating my thoughts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom