recreational trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vlada

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Below is the letter that i lifted from scubadiving.com - just wanna know what you think.

Seems to me they are doing it in reverse compared to TDI and IANTD who would not let you close to trimix before you complete your deco procedures or whatever is IANTD's deco course

Actually it makes sense to me - i will be doing up my TDI deco couse dives in the spring - i think i am supposed to go to 150 ft in couple - i really wish i could do those on trimix, since i do get narc'ed

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Copied from the GUE membership mailing list.

As GUE continues to set the standard as the leading, cutting edge training
agency in the world, we have a new recreational diving program called
“Recreational TriOx”. (The training standards can be found @
http://www.gue.com/classroom/standards/index.shtml.) This “New for 2003”
program is an excellent recreational program geared towards divers wanting
to use TriOx in their everyday diving. The course is a no-decompression*
class structured to prepare divers for deeper recreational diving using
proper breathing mixtures and correct ascent procedures. Recreational TriOx
training focuses on amplifying the skills learned in the DIR Fundamentals
course (or other GUE Classes) and is designed to cultivate, integrate and
expand the essential skills required for safe deeper diving. This will
include problem identification and resolution, as well as other skills
required to build the capacity for progressively more challenging diving. In
this class, students will be trained in: (a) the use of single or double
back gas tanks/cylinders and in the potential failure problems associated
with each; (b) the use of Nitrox and TriOx for extended bottom times; (c)
the use of Helium to minimize narcosis, CO2, gas density and post-dive
"nitrogen stress;" and (d) correct ascent procedures. This class does not
teach people the use of a Deco/Stage bottle (Oxygen Window) to accelerate
decompression and is not a prerequisite for Tech 1, Cave 1 or our Rebreather
class. It is purely a Recreational Class.

If you have any other questions please feel free to e-mail me.

Andrew Georgitsis
GUE Training Director

from the GUE text quoted above...
This class does not teach people the use of a Deco/Stage bottle (Oxygen Window) to accelerate decompression...
So an advanced Nitrox class would still be required if you wished to offgas on EAN50 or 100% O2?

Sounds great - I'm (occasionally) doing dives to 120', and would love to be able to tool around down there with a clearer head.

But the big question is, when is Suunto bringing out a no-deco trimix computer? :eek:ut:

Scubaroo once bubbled...
But the big question is, when is Suunto bringing out a no-deco trimix computer? :eek:ut:
you take the class from Andrew and you won't need no stinking computer :wink:

Rec triox sounds like a good deal for a lot of folks who don't want to get into technical staged decompression diving.

I would not be surprised if in 10 or so years trimix is like nitrox is now . considering that a recreational diver could reduce narcosis to a safe level within the recreational depths .
joens

Thanks for posting the link, that was an excellent review of the course.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

you take the class from Andrew and you won't need no stinking computer :wink:

Rec triox sounds like a good deal for a lot of folks who don't want to get into technical staged decompression diving.

Just curious. Has anyone done a check with other agencies and dive shops to see if this course will be supported? IOW, once someone has the card, will they will able to get mix at a facility other than GUE?

Presuming of course that the facility asked for a trimix card.

Phil

I'm not exactly sure what the specific question and/or concern is, however that being said Andrew G and I co-wrote the recreational Triox program, with JJ and George Irvine providing their invaluable editorial perspective, so I feel very comfortable answering ANY question you have as it relates to the GUE Triox program, but it just seems that your question is very generic in nature rather then specific so if you can modify your question I'll be happy to respond privately or publicly..

Thanks for your interest...

Michael Kane

that is a good question Phil. Certainly here in the Puget Sound area fills will be obtainable in Kent through 5th D... but I wouldn't be surprised if they were not available elsewhere around here.

We had so much difficulty getting Nitrox(!) fills here in a timely manner that we went to blending our own.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom