Recreational Trimix classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before you get too knobby Mech, allow me to REPOST my previous post, in part.......

.........One thing I should mention, I may be anti-GUE establishment for their lack of answer to simple questions posed to them, but I am certainly PRO their ideas.......at least 95%

I've said 80% in the past, but really, how do you put a %age point to something you almost entirely agree with......

Nuff said, I give credit where credit is due. Regardless od whether I "like" somebody or not.

Jeff:

The money isn't the issue with me either, but I'm not going to waste what I have on a course that I PERSONALLY find that it overlaps other required courses that I would do.

If you wanna go "half-tech", then go ahead. It'll only just dent the wallet, and the training won't hurt. Whether it's required to fill a "Hole" is another story.

Mech m'buddy....

.......Saying you can do any kind of diving you want without training is stick your head in the sand dumb, as well as impractical......

I didn't say without training.

I did say a very controversial thing, and 99.999% of people will never do it, but the fact still remains that a well read, well dove diver could learn to do Tech diving by just searching out the pertinent info, practicing in a safe environment, and progressively learn the "trade". You would also be diving, probably, with many weel dove divers that are a very useful piece of experience.

Would I recommend a OW student to do it?? NO, of course not. I'm speaking specifically of "advanced" divers, with a certain amount of experience and knowledge already, with which to build on. They've been around the block and know the score, they know how to dive already!!

Answer to yourself......all you NON-instructors, could you properly teach a person who's never dove before to dive?? Sure you could. It's the same thing, up one or two levels.

It's no different, it just sounds bad.

Tell me you've never done a tabboo because you KNOW you can do it, whether PADI, NAUI, TDI says you can or not.

regards.

Deep,it's "taboo".And all the guess work and trial&error can be skipped by taking the course nowadays.15 yrs ago we had to sneak 02 into a shop to homebrew nitrox and were often way outta line on oxtox issues.Fortunately not one of us got hurt bad altho the chamber at Beaches hospital is a little worn.Yes it can be done .It can be done safely and economically.......by .0001% of the divers I've met.And then you still have a hard time without the certs getting on boats,in caves or getting others to dive with you.

I hear ya, but it ain't guess work anymore. The info is freely had, and it's way better than it was years ago.

I'm talking about already somewhat accomplished (if I can use that term loosly) divers.

Anyways, this is getting off topic of this thread a tad..I know it happens.

To me, and to others it's no different than teaching your spouse, child or whoever about diving, or as Genesis had mentioned in another thread, about Nitrox diving with his G/F.

I give people the credit they deserve for not being complete ignoramises (is that a word?).

The certs, or lack thereof was never my point. My point was simply selling cards for the sake of selling cards, and which ones were redundant, or may I say next to useless.

The good thing is, there's always more to sell, and more and more divers will fill them.

I just think most people have far more smarts for this than anyone gives them credit for. It's diving, your brain can handle the concept, it ain't brain surgery.

How about the people that still believe that tearing down your own regs and doing an overhaul is actually difficult and should be left to the "Pro"?

C'mon guys, gimme a break. Is everyone still diluted enough to believe than without an official looking card, plaque or cert # that you can't do anything?

Anyways, as fun as this is, it's getting off topic, let move it to another thread if anyone gives a crap.....Uhmmmm I don't, really.

Tabboo just seemed right a the time....but yes you're correct of course..taboo......I'm not freaky enough to use that word too often.

I don't use it even 1 day a year :D

I still know guys that are wau outta line on oxtox issues, I ain't gonna push it, 1.6 is the offical nasty line, but I know guys that do 2.*

Oh yeah, they have the cards to prove their sillyness

:wacko:

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

You can take your PADI AOW class right after your PADI OW... but I don't think you would be ready to take the Rec Triox right after PADI OW.

MHK is the one who phrased it that way. No you can't take it right after OW but you can take it soon after DIRF. GUE doesn't encourage going beyond 100 ft or an average depth of more than 80 ft (I think) untill this point. Neither AOW or nitrox is a prerequisit and it qualifies the student for those gases and depths.

DeepScuba once bubbled...

Assuming I was working towards "Tech" from an AOW position, I would probably choose Tech 1 over this one.

It's kinda like TDI Ext Range.........you never have to take it to go from Nitrox to Full Trimix, so why bother?

Let's start with your assumption...

There are lot of wrecks near me that are in 100+ ft range. I'm interested in "tech" because I want to spend more then 10 or 15 minutes on them. Now Tech 1 is the level I'd like to be at but I'm not ready for the class. I have a few opinions,
  • make these dives with (what I consider) inadequate training
  • rush to meet the prerequisites for the training I want, eg hit the quarry every weekend and fill up my log book
  • stop making these dives until I receive the training I want
  • take a class I don't "need" so that I can dive some of the things I'd like and keep working till I'm read for my "real" training.
Wouldn't you agree that taking a class I don't really "need" is the best option?

I'd say simply, you should be taking a course.

Remember, I'm not anti-courses, far from it. I am anti-periferal course that overlap course I either DO have, or SHOULD have if I want to continue further.

For you diver example, he needs to take Nitrox obviously. If all he wants is more time in Rec diving depth limits (That's the scenario laid out to me) then take Nitrox, grab a 32Mix and do 25min at 110ft. Of course he's probably gonna need a large tank if he want's to continue to abide with his rule of thirds and SAC rates. But that again, is OW training (Exept maybe SAC, and any fool can learn that on the internet if he had to. It's only a formula) In fact browse over to the thread "So what's your average SAC rate". We just taught a PADI OWSI how to do it!!!!
He never had to learn it, because as others had mentioned here, it's not required really in Rec diving.

Simple.

Now, as I've said earlier, if he endeavors further, then grab a deco/adv nitrox class. No mess, no fuss, no overlap, no wasted money on other courses.

Do I suggest a PADI wreck course?? or Deep course.......NOPE.
Overlap and a waste...in fact it's an UNDERlap IMO.

If ya wanna go GUE, then they force you to do DIRf before everything (I assume), then either stay there and do nothing, or do Tech1. No mess, no fuss, no overlap.

DeepScuba once bubbled...
I'd say simply, you should be taking a course.

Remember, I'm not anti-courses, far from it. I am anti-periferal course that overlap course I either DO have, or SHOULD have if I want to continue further.

For you diver example, he needs to take Nitrox obviously. If all he wants is more time in Rec diving depth limits (That's the scenario laid out to me) then take Nitrox, grab a 32Mix and do 25min at 110ft. Of course he's probably gonna need a large tank if he want's to continue to abide with his rule of thirds and SAC rates. But that again, is OW training (Exept maybe SAC, and any fool can learn that on the internet if he had to. It's only a formula) In fact browse over to the thread "So what's your average SAC rate". We just taught a PADI OWSI how to do it!!!!
He never had to learn it, because as others had mentioned here, it's not required really in Rec diving.

Simple.

Now, as I've said earlier, if he endeavors further, then grab a deco/adv nitrox class. No mess, no fuss, no overlap, no wasted money on other courses.

Do I suggest a PADI wreck course?? or Deep course.......NOPE.
Overlap and a waste...in fact it's an UNDERlap IMO.

If ya wanna go GUE, then they force you to do DIRf before everything (I assume), then either stay there and do nothing, or do Tech1. No mess, no fuss, no overlap.

And I would agree that a person should not have to duplicate training, but (in my case) a diver without nitrox and unsure whether or not they are going to go the full tech, I think the class would be a good fit.

(If the diver goes Tech, the Rec Triox is Part 1 of the Tech 1 Class (Format 2, according to FithD's web site))

Jeff

JeffG once bubbled...

And I would agree that a person should not have to duplicate training, but (in my case) a diver without nitrox and unsure whether or not they are going to go the full tech, I think the class would be a good fit.

Jeff,
The simple fact that this is a GUE class means that many people will immediately dismiss it.

It would also clear things up easier if you decided to go GUE or TDI or whatever first, as well.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom