Recreational Trimix classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mannydib once bubbled...
GUE offers a recreational Trimix course and IANTD has one in the making
i hear you have to have really good bouyancy to work with He since you can get bent easily just going up 15'
how "recreational" can these classes be?

Its "recreational" because of the depth limit of 130 and no deco stops are involved.

But if you do not have good bouyancy control, you will not pass.

On this course. It really seems like an excellent course, GUE produces some excellent divers, but it's NOT what would be thought of as recreational in the usual use of the term.

If you look at the 5thD site:

http://www.fifthd.com/itindex.htm

you can find info about it. It's a very extensive class, and you have to have at least 1 GUE cert already. It says you can do it in a single tank setup, but most do doubles. It also says it's a No-Deco class:

"What is Recreational Triox?
5th Dimension is the leading source of instruction for this new GUE course! New for 2003, the Recreational Triox course is a no-decompression class structured to prepare divers for deeper recreational diving using proper breathing mixtures and correct ascent procedures."

From some who have posted reports after taking it; you make stops every 10 feet from half way up after a rolling evaluation pause at 70'...Sounds like a deco stop to me, although this is the GUE wording:

"TriOx introduces effective ascent procedures to accentuate the benefits of the gas mix and associated training."

Basically, it's a "No gas switch" deco.

Considering that taking that class would mean $$ thousands in new gear and course & travel costs for most rec divers... and that's if you can meet the pre-reqs...Unless you plan on going into tech diving... it's just not worth it for a noticeable, but not day/nite scale of reduction in narcosis.

It's really all about where you are, and where you want to go, with your diving future.

Darlene

Perhaps shoot Doc Deco a question about the incidence of HE hits.If you're going to use He,I think a full class would be a better use of the same funds.Rec Triox is not the wave of the future ,not withstanding any claims to the contrary.Very few divers are willing to learn the xtra math ,skills and discipline to use it.Not to mention the expense for a slight reduction in narcosis.Below 100' and dark maybe it would sell,but in typical dive who even considers narcosis an issue.Perhaps as an intermediate tech course I could see it,as it stands nitrox offers far more benefits at less expense.

I agree. Given the depth and time parameters you guys say it has, it's just another card to sell.

Even from GUE you say???

Is that 15' from 130, or 15' from 15'?

... to a few here in the PNW with our dark, cold limited viz waters.

I like using 30/30 as a recreational mix in my double 72s in the 80'~120' range since I already have the gas and the gear but can't see many recreational folks forking out the extra $$$.

DeepScuba once bubbled...
I agree. Given the depth and time parameters you guys say it has, it's just another card to sell.

Even from GUE you say???

However I feel about GUE, one thing they do not do is sell cards. From what little I saw of the triox class, you will work your butt off and "maybe" get the card at the end. You will by no means buy anything...

MD

While I would tend to agree that triox is not the next great thing in diving. It's just too expensive and difficult to find.

The GUE Rec triox course is an excellent course, aswell as the obvious Triox content, it covers a lot of information that is useful for diving in the 100ft range safely. Ascent profiles and at least some basic decompression theory. I'd recomend it to pretty much anyone who's taken fundamentals and has practiced the skills.

My course report is on the board if you search for it.

Hey Mech, my mainpoint was really what ERP and Uncle Pug said. It's of marginal use because of the extra $$$$ involved for the dive being done.

Everything else learned in the class is taught in other class (More than likely, the one's we've already taken) And since there's a pre-requisite to the course (not my words) it's "redundant teaching" to a point.

GUE ain't much different than others. I've heard that mantra too many times from too many other companies.......we do it better.........we are ****, we this, we that.....it's standard see through advertisement....telling me that they don't sell cards isn't much of a comfort. They're plan is to teach (And teach well) students, there goal is to make money. There's nothing wrong with that. Telling me they don't "invent" new ways of making a buck is rediculous, and totally missing the point of business.

They can be very good, fail folks, have high standards, and still sell a dog-and-pony course for Rec divers.

No training is bad training, but is it gotten at too high a price, or is it even warranted at all??

Would you ever do a AOW refresher course? NO you're beyond that. It's not that it's bad training, but it's a waste of time for you.

DeepScuba once bubbled...
Hey Mech, my mainpoint was really what ERP and Uncle Pug said. It's of marginal use because of the extra $$$$ involved for the dive being done.

Everything else learned in the class is taught in other class (More than likely, the one's we've already taken) And since there's a pre-requisite to the course (not my words) it's "redundant teaching" to a point.

GUE ain't much different than others. I've heard that mantra too many times from too many other companies.......we do it better.........we are ****, we this, we that.....it's standard see through advertisement....telling me that they don't sell cards isn't much of a comfort. They're plan is to teach (And teach well) students, there goal is to make money. There's nothing wrong with that. Telling me they don't "invent" new ways of making a buck is rediculous, and totally missing the point of business.

They can be very good, fail folks, have high standards, and still sell a dog-and-pony course for Rec divers.

No training is bad training, but is it gotten at too high a price, or is it even warranted at all??

Would you ever do a AOW refresher course? NO you're beyond that. It's not that it's bad training, but it's a waste of time for you.

I agree, sorta, with parts.

I don't think the class is necessary as a 100' mix class because He is too expensive, but I think its a natural progression for those enamored of the GUE style of diving. One problem is the class is misnamed. It's more the GUE Advanced OW/Intro to Tech, but be that as it may.

Sure they're doing it to make money. Nothing wrong with that. But, unlike most AOW classes, I think to the GUE minded divers, this one has value.

MD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom