Recreational Trimix classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just browsed the course outlines.........

Assuming I was working towards "Tech" from an AOW position, I would probably choose Tech 1 over this one.

It's kinda like TDI Ext Range.........you never have to take it to go from Nitrox to Full Trimix, so why bother?

They are as much as saying you're not going miss anything in between by not taking it.

I would suggest that a Rec diver sort his needs and aspirations out before hand, to determine whether he wants to go "tech" and then spend the money wisely.

One thign I should mention, I may be anti-GUE establishment for their lack of answer to simple quesiotns posed to them, but I am certainly PRO their ideas.......at least 95%

I've said 80% in the past, but really, how do you put a %age point to something you almost entirely agree with.

I suspect that secretly, they'd agree with me that the few points I put forth are of little consequence to the actual diving, and they would agree that my concerns wouldn't be "Deal busters" for them. But of course they wouldn't say it publically!

How could such a stroke be so right????

I'm basically DIR/GUE without the cards.....

DeepScuba once bubbled...

Assuming I was working towards "Tech" from an AOW position, I would probably choose Tech 1 over this one.

It's kinda like TDI Ext Range.........you never have to take it to go from Nitrox to Full Trimix, so why bother?

They are as much as saying you're not going miss anything in between by not taking it.

I would suggest that a Rec diver sort his needs and aspirations out before hand, to determine whether he wants to go "tech" and then spend the money wisely.

One thign I should mention, I may be anti-GUE establishment for their lack of answer to simple quesiotns posed to them, but I am certainly PRO their ideas.......at least 95%

I've said 80% in the past, but really, how do you put a %age point to something you almost entirely agree with.

I suspect that secretly, they'd agree with me that the few points I put forth are of little consequence to the actual diving, and they would agree that my concerns wouldn't be "Deal busters" for them. But of course they wouldn't say it publically!

How could such a stroke be so right????

I'm basically DIR/GUE without the cards.....
Well, I was thinking of taking the course next year for the following reason.

An alternative for Nitrox Certification.

I could pay $200 and sit in a class for a couple of hours. Learn the equations,get my 2 coupons for Nitrox or Take the Rec Triox course. Its more expensive, but it sound like there is more too it.

And if I do go "Tech" it would a good stepping stone. (I heard that if you have the Rec triox , you are given "credit" in tech 1)

If I don't go tech, well I'm out some money, but I got some better education.

Jeff

I would say that if you are just planning on recreational diving the rec triox might be a bit of overkill... unless you have the $$$ and inclination.

However if you are aiming at GUE Tech 1 as an AOW then you should not only hit the DIRf but probably take the unfortunately named rec triox. You will get that much more out of your Tech 1 class.

As it has been explained to me...

The class is essentially GUE's answer to the AOW class. It's meant to give divers the skills and access to and training in ALL the gasses that GUE feels are useful to depths of 120 ft. The gas isn't the main point of the class. Diving to 120 ft is the point of the class. Since GUE feels helium is a useful gas at those depths the class qualifies you for it as well as nitrox.

So...with this class you skip the standard nitrox, AOW and deep diver courses offered by other agencies.

Personally I'd take the money and use it for air fills and DIVE. Practice skills you should already know. Then you wouldn't need to have the cards for any other reason than to buy Nitrox/Mix fills.

This is tabboo to say, but reality is, with the right amount of good information from good organizations, almost all gotten for free, I might add, you could easily learn to do Tech diving with no courses, just by diving, practicing, diving, practicing....you'd no doubt also come across many many great divers to learn from too. You would be diving with them, (Unless they're DIR!!! YOU STROKE) hahahah, and you would learn from them as well.

It's no different than saying that because you have the card, you're qualified.....not neccessarily.

FLAMERS ON......

:spank:

:flame:

Personally I'd take the money and use it for air fills and DIVE. Practice skills you should already know. Then you wouldn't need to have the cards for any other reason than to buy Nitrox/Mix fills.

This is tabboo to say, but reality is, with the right amount of good information from good organizations, almost all gotten for free, I might add, you could easily learn to do Tech diving with no courses, just by diving, practicing, diving, practicing....you'd no doubt also come across many many great divers to learn from too. You would be diving with them, (Unless they're DIR!!! YOU STROKE) hahahah, and you would learn from them as well.

It's no different than saying that because you have the card, you're qualified.....not neccessarily.

FLAMERS ON......

:spank:

:flame:
Well sometimes you need a card to get "exotic" gas :) and I can afford the class and air fills, so that is a non-issue.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
So...with this class you skip the standard nitrox, AOW and deep diver courses offered by other agencies.
You can take your PADI AOW class right after your PADI OW... but I don't think you would be ready to take the Rec Triox right after PADI OW.

Its apparent you're only argueing for the sake of knocking anything GUE. Although I don't have any great love there, further posts to you are a waste of time.

Saying you can do any kind of diving you want without training is stick your head in the sand dumb, as well as impractical.

I like to think of the RecTriOx class as a "Tech1 light class". I would say that having taken both the PADI AOW and the RecTriOx class the RecTriOx class is not for newly minted divers. Leading up to the RecTriOx class I trained pretty hard and still found the class extremely challenging. On the other hand when I took my AOW I had taken a 12 year lay-off from diving and was not challenged at all. The hardest part was mustering up the energy to discipline myself to read the stupid book and do the questions in the back.

This is precisely what the Rec Triox course allows one to do. It gives a recreational diver an opportunity to learn and experience what it will take (at least via GUE training) to go the Tech 1 route. The beauty of it is that, if one decides s/he doesn't want to commit to technical diving and the cost it entails, s/he will still have learned some really valuable skills. I don't regret having put forth the time and effort to take the course. It is an amped up version of DIR-F with added knowledge for deeper diving and diving with a gas other than air. Just my.02 cents.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom