Recreational Helium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reg Braithwaite

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
At least two of the other agencies offer a "recreational" Trimix/Triox/Tri-whatever course, focusing on no-deco diving with hyperoxic trimix such as 25/25, 32/15, or 30/30. To the best of my knowledge, TDI reserves trimix training for extended range deco diving and does not train "recreational" divers in its use.

I wondered if TDI would care to share its perspective. I'm trying to leave the question as vague as possible because I'm not trying to demand an explanation as to why TDI don't offer this, or suggest that TDI bad-mouth other agencies, I'm just looking for another perspective/philosophy around diving "mixed" gas.

Given that Helium isn't even used in their opening decompression certfication, why would they even consider a recreational helium class.

Take it from the source

As per

Brian Carney
President
SDI/TDI/ERDI

With regards to diver safety and knowledge, I fail to see how adding helium to our current decompression program adds to diver safety or knowledge. Please explain that.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3263020-post14.html

I note how Brian never responded...

At least two of the other agencies offer a "recreational" Trimix/Triox/Tri-whatever course, focusing on no-deco diving with hyperoxic trimix such as 25/25, 32/15, or 30/30. To the best of my knowledge, TDI reserves trimix training for extended range deco diving and does not train "recreational" divers in its use.

I wondered if TDI would care to share its perspective. I'm trying to leave the question as vague as possible because I'm not trying to demand an explanation as to why TDI don't offer this, or suggest that TDI bad-mouth other agencies, I'm just looking for another perspective/philosophy around diving "mixed" gas.

I bet you get a reply to your question from Steve Lewis steve.lewis@tdisdi.com

He pops into the board quite often. If you miss him here pop over to TDS and post this.

:wink:

What a waste of an already dwindling resource.

I have a friend that works at a power plant -- says they use countless zillions of cubic feet of helium per year. I can't remember the exact number but it was, I believe, in the millions of cubic feet. They also buy it for much cheaper than anyone here gets it (if I remember correctly the cf price was less than what we pay for nitrox in cave country).

Recreational and technical diving are barely a drop in the bucket for helium usage.

Well, breathing He on open circuit is wasteful at any depth. But is there something specific about breathing trimix at 40m that is wasteful compared to breathing trimix at 50m?

Looking for enlightenment here...

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I am under the impression that because helium is lighter than nitrogen, it on gasses and off gasses much faster. That property makes it desirable during long deco dives, but also makes it less "forgiving" than nitrogen. For example you may be able to spend more time on the bottom and less time at each stop, but that your ascent rate and stop times MUST be followed with more accuracy, otherwise your risk of dcs increases.

Perhaps the mindset at TDI (just speculating, I have no idea) is that divers at recreational, non NDL dives are not as precise as tech divers on deep dives, and are trying to spare themselves some lawsuits.
Or, more likely, they failt to see enough demand in the concept to make a viable course out of it.

Either way I am only interested in he for FFM dives equipped with commo gear ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom