Recreation diver:pony bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjack321:
Darkpup you're back! BTW, I got cylinders and a wing for you in Jan, just bring your BP, suit and small stuff. I assume you'll have time for at least a couple dives...

Yep, started back to work this week after a month off for Emma's birth. Figured I'd come on over, and see what was up while the techs resolve some VPN connection issues for me.

Sounds good about the cylinders. I was wondering how I was going to pack two complete sets of dive gear and all of the kids gear into the Explorer for the trip. Are you up for some Tech / Wreck dives while we're there? I figure we can do a Tech dive together, and Janeane can do a penetration dive with you. That is if Mel and Lynne let Janeane dive with you.

We're planning to drive up 12/29 after work, and stay till 1/6 or 1/7. We should have plenty of time for a few dives. We need to scope out the area for our move up there and may need to reserve a day or two for interviews, but we should have plenty of time for several dives.

And I promise we won't flake this time. Now that the kids here, we should be set to get back into diving.

~ Jason

Excellent points. Thanks for bringing them up.

Mostly the fact that most of us who can rattle these rock bottom things off in our sleep generally have a lower SAC rate (even stressed) than those who don't know the calculations (because they are newer). We often use our best guesses, which may vastly understate a real, stressed OW student's SAC - which may approach 2 cf/min.

darkpup:
Sounds good about the cylinders. I was wondering how I was going to pack two complete sets of dive gear and all of the kids gear into the Explorer for the trip. Are you up for some Tech / Wreck dives while we're there? I figure we can do a Tech dive together, and Janeane can do a penetration dive with you. That is if Mel and Lynne let Janeane dive with you.

And, if you need more gear, I'll be up in Tahoe that time, so things won't be going to use in Seattle . . . I have some 119s doubled up, and may have 108s or a set of 85s by then as well.

Speaking of which, Jason, I see you are in Sacramento, my folks have a place in Tahoe, and I figure I should dive the lake at some point. I'd love to pick your brain on the place someday.

Hijack over.

-Doug

everyone has different ideas about their equipment config., some people say yes tp ponys, some say no. You have to weigh the question...is the price and hassle of a sling worth the possibility of losing your life if the off chance of an emergency arises?

shellbackdiver1:
Mr. Simon Chang,

Pony bottle should be your dive buddy and good gas planing. If you are looking to dive on the weekends in Kenting let me know for I go every weekend and usually once during the week day.

By the way I assisted you in your pool skills during your open water....remember?

Greg
Hi,Greg!
I can't believe it!
Of course I do remember!
You may email me:
calgarycity2003@yahoo.com.tw
I'm going to purchase a set of pony bottle S19.

Hey guys, I wrote a Pony Tank Consumption Calculator and put it up online at http://cemu.org/scuba/ponycalc.php. It's pretty easy to use, and calculates everything breath-by-breath, you can modify sac rate, ascent rate, safety stop parameters, etc. Here's some sample runs:

10 second bottom time, 120 feet, 3 minute safety stop on a 13 cu

5 second bottom time, 120 foot ascent with no safety stop at 60 fpm on a 6 cu

1 second bottom time, 120 foot ascent with no safety stop at 60 fpm on a 3 cu by a calm diver with a low sac rate

10 second bottom time, 60 foot ascent at recommended rates, with recommended safety stop, taking approx 8 cubic feet

If anyone has any input, I'd really like to hear it (re: default parameters being changed, features, bugs, etc).

Rob

[edit: examples updated to be more conservative and hopefully more realistic]

Most assume in an OOA contingency one will stick to a 30fpm assent rate. I do not concur with this . I the cow dung is hitting the fan I'm ascending at 60 fpm.

Hi guys!

I think you would have to know yourself and how you react under stress to determine your (emergency) sac rate. This past July I took my advanced course. On the deep water dive, the buddy pair that went down ahead of us had to turn around and head back up the line when they got to the bottom(96ft). One of the guys was already running low on air. He had to share air at his safety stop and both divers didn't make the 3 mins. They both faired well, but I think it's something they won't forget. I think he was a little nervous. It taught me that if your freaked, you can make a 80cuft tank seem like a pop can. Other wise the AOW course was a total blast!

Rich

P.S. He started the dive with 3000psi just in case your wondering.

Check out this link, It helped me out alot in deciding that I wanted to get a pony bottle. (which I am still yet to do). And deciding on its size.

http://www.scubanaked.com/pony.html

EDIT: The chart on the link is assumming a half foot acent rate WITHOUT safety stop

Is it just me or is a 1.8 cf/min consumption rate really high? I know that is under stress. but the highest I have ever seen my consumption rate get up to is about .8 cf/min.

I know that I was not in an OOA but i was Ive exerting myself a little just to see what the difference would be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom