Record deep dive challenged

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I assumed that was what you meant. A bottom timer is just a pressure gauge measuring ATA and a processor converting that to depth for display purposes, along with timing displays. Any depth gauge, whether digital or mechanical, is measuring ATA and displaying depth, they will not give the actual physical distance from the surface to any accuracy that Guinness would be interested in. Similarly, an aircraft altimeter at 40 000 ft does not measure the actual distance from sea level to the aircraft, it just gives useful information not necessarily very accurate information.
If the gauges attached to the depth tags were able to have their profile downloaded afterwards (I'm picturing something like a 300+m capable Sensus Ultra here) then it seems to me they could give very useful additional verification even without needing to be super accurate. If you had a downloadable depth logging device attached to every tag, you would be able to confirm that they all went to depth and stayed there until the rope was recovered, apart from one that started to ascend sooner than the others and then followed a profile that should look like the diver's reported actual deco schedule.

You have the characteristics of the rope for a precise evaluation of the true depth reached, but even if approximate, the readouts from the multiple tags with a decent chain of evidence after the end of the dive would tell a valuable corroborating (...or not) story that would be very hard to fake. It would confirm, for example, that the recovered tag did indeed go to 'depth', and didn't, say (inventing a totally imaginary example fault) get tangled up with the rope at a shallower depth than it should have been, and that it did indeed leave the bottom earlier than the others. From considering all the tags approximate maximum depths, you'd be able to get a picture if, say (inventing a second totally imaginary fault here) there was a strong current at depth that bent the bottom end of the rope rope up that wasn't apparent at the top end.

(No comment on whether these records and accompanying hoo-haa are big-league dumb or not, just theorising a way of being able to definitively prove the dumb achievement)

If the gauges attached to the depth tags were able to have their profile downloaded afterwards (I'm picturing something like a 300+m capable Sensus Ultra here) then it seems to me they could give very useful additional verification even without needing to be super accurate. If you had a downloadable depth logging device attached to every tag, you would be able to confirm that they all went to depth and stayed there until the rope was recovered, apart from one that started to ascend sooner than the others and then followed a profile that should look like the diver's reported actual deco schedule.

You have the characteristics of the rope for a precise evaluation of the true depth reached, but even if approximate, the readouts from the multiple tags with a decent chain of evidence after the end of the dive would tell a valuable corroborating (...or not) story that would be very hard to fake. It would confirm, for example, that the recovered tag did indeed go to 'depth', and didn't, say (inventing a totally imaginary example fault) get tangled up with the rope at a shallower depth than it should have been, and that it did indeed leave the bottom earlier than the others. From considering all the tags approximate maximum depths, you'd be able to get a picture if, say (inventing a second totally imaginary fault here) there was a strong current at depth that bent the bottom end of the rope rope up that wasn't apparent at the top end.

(No comment on whether these records and accompanying hoo-haa are big-league dumb or not, just theorising a way of being able to definitively prove the dumb achievement)
I'm sure one could find a helpful use for bottom timers, but also remember that Ahmed was footing the bill for this entire project. Sure, he had sponsors etc etc but the insane amounts of helium etc etc all came from someones pockets. Putting 20 or 30 $200 units on a line may have seems an unnecessary use of cash.

I'm sure one could find a helpful use for bottom timers, but also remember that Ahmed was footing the bill for this entire project. Sure, he had sponsors etc etc but the insane amounts of helium etc etc all came from someones pockets. Putting 20 or 30 $200 units on a line may have seems an unnecessary use of cash.
If you want to make it cheaper, use the computers only at the record depths attempted ?

Write down their manufacturing ID, then put two at the two depths attempted.

Are there computers rated for this depth btw which would store a complete profile ?

...unnecessary use of cash.

Seriously? This entire boondoggle seems to have been an unnecessary use of cash. I'm not sure what the budget was for this experiment in artificial stupidity, but it sure could have fed a bunch of starving mouths in Egypt rather than the ego of a self-aggrandizing narcissist.

How did he get the tag? The tags were unique and were covered and put in place by Guinness officials.
There's still time for a conspiracy theory to develop with his military connections bringing in a mini-submarine or rov to bring the tag up to him. :eek::popcorn:

There's still time for a conspiracy theory to develop with his military connections bringing in a mini-submarine or rov to bring the tag up to him. :eek::popcorn:

How about someone yanked up the rope? Don’t think you need a ROV for that. :happywave:

How about someone yanked up the rope? Don’t think you need a ROV for that. :happywave:
Not enough conspiracy in that theory plus I doubt anyone would want to work that hard at the undisputed depths he was at, if it was even possible to lift the weight underwater.

Nobody would do something that boring, I vote for the submarine theory.

I bet the submarine has 5G masts to spread Covid too years later.

Nobody would do something that boring, I vote for the submarine theory.

I bet the submarine has 5G masts to spread Covid too years later.

Only had to be pulled up a couple of meters. A few support support divers tug and ole! I just tested it in the bathtub. Easy as pie...just attach a lift bag if you’re too much of a wimp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom