Record deep dive challenged

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now Ahmed's responses are not convincing. Especially when he is indicating that everything is ok when his dive computer is not working, when he is breathing wrong gas, when he meets support diver on the wrong depth..... even beginners would say that this is very odd.
I don't find his giving the OK symbol to the safety diver odd at all if he had just set the record. Think of his frame of mind: he's set the record, avoided major medical issues, is out of the HPNS zone, and has breathable gas. Why wouldn't he signal OK? None of the issues identified are immediately threatening and he obviously wants to get the record validated and let his family and crew know he's made it through the most dangerous party of the dive successfully.

There's still time for a conspiracy theory to develop with his military connections bringing in a mini-submarine or rov to bring the tag up to him. :eek::popcorn:
Egypt does have the largest navy in the Middle East and Africa

Coouldn't help but notice that even on his training dives there were no cameras brought deep:

35486011_397047057447276_3757581718068920320_o.jpg

it's not that easy to fool guiness. My daughter and I (above) holding the one we took part in. Which happened to be a scuba record... The number of checks is impressive. They get a bajillion applications every year, most don't get approved. If you can't show a testable premise to prove or disprove they just reject you and go on. They do all the counting and testing themselves, they don't just listen to you say "we did it" and give you the record. And this was a fairly basic dive. One that involves the real potential for death, I'm sure is much more stringent.

Not too many kids get into guiness for their 12th birthday. :)

We know who these “scuba Sam” people are and they are very reputable sources who were very close to Gabr and the world record dive.

Michael spent nearly 3 weeks researching the articles and interviewing widely.

I would not go so far as to say the source(s) are reputable. My source tells me that all this information is coming from someone who was part of Ahmed's team but was thought to have been stealing helium and selling it using Ahmed's name. He was turned into the Egyptian police where is wanted and facing 6 months in jail. He has fled the country.

All of this coming out now when the documentary is about to be released is suspicious enough without adding a "source" who is known to be very much less than reputable.

I would not go so far as to say the source(s) are reputable. My source tells me that all this information is coming from someone who was part of Ahmed's team but was thought to have been stealing helium and selling it using Ahmed's name. He was turned into the Egyptian police where is wanted and facing 6 months in jail. He has fled the country.

All of this coming out now when the documentary is about to be released is suspicious enough without adding a "source" who is known to be very much less than reputable.
Again, the point is, can he answer the queries raised. Who the source is, or when the documentary is due to be released, is not really important to the validity of the record. Whether he can answer the queries raised is.

Again, the point is, can he answer the queries raised. Who the source is, or when the documentary is due to be released, is not really important to the validity of the record. Whether he can answer the queries raised is.
Why would he bother? Why should he bother? The queries are mere innuendo, there is no actual evidence. And they are aimed at the wrong party. Objections should have been raised with Guinness who helped create, approved and oversaw the procedures and certified the record.

View attachment 611987

it's not that easy to fool guiness. My daughter and I (above) holding the one we took part in. Which happened to be a scuba record... The number of checks is impressive. They get a bajillion applications every year, most don't get approved. If you can't show a testable premise to prove or disprove they just reject you and go on. They do all the counting and testing themselves, they don't just listen to you say "we did it" and give you the record. And this was a fairly basic dive. One that involves the real potential for death, I'm sure is much more stringent.

Not too many kids get into guiness for their 12th birthday. :)

What was the record?

Why would he bother? Why should he bother? The queries are mere innuendo, there is no actual evidence.
With respect, the discrepancies are not innuendo according to a number of independent parties who scrutinised them. They believe these discrepancies do indeed have merit, and apparently this is why a number of media outlets published them.

What makes the record even more dubious imho, was the record holders subsequent attempt to explain each query raised, in many cases he couldn't provide a rational explanation - Fact Or Fiction? World Record Holder Ahmed Gabr Responds To Allegations - DeeperBlue.com

Objections should have been raised with Guinness who helped create, approved and oversaw the procedures and certified the record.
Agree, but I suppose with the media attention it has gotten, you would imagine Guinness are aware of the discrepancies in the record now. The interesting bit will be, what are Guinness going to do about these valid queries that the record holder cant answer?

This thread is about contesting the judging standards. My questions are these: in the subaquatic world, where is the standard and who is the standard bearer?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom