Record deep dive challenged

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With respect, the discrepancies are not innuendo according to a number of independent parties who scrutinised them. They believe these discrepancies do indeed have merit, and apparently this is why a number of media outlets published them.

What makes the record even more dubious imho, was the record holders subsequent attempt to explain each query raised, in many cases he couldn't provide a rational explanation - Fact Or Fiction? World Record Holder Ahmed Gabr Responds To Allegations - DeeperBlue.com

Agree, but I suppose with the media attention it has gotten, you would imagine Guinness are aware of the discrepancies in the record now. The interesting bit will be, what are Guinness going to do about these valid queries that the record holder cant answer?

Seems to me, it would be more of a concern if he had an immediate rationale to every question as it's asked.
Being baffled by how this could be coming up now, when all was above board in his mind, might make it difficult.

20200914_235923.jpg
What was the record?
Longest underwater human chain. We went down and held hands for about half an hour. Boring as all get out :).

I think it's been broken since then but I have a record on the wall and my daughter has a cool story. They made us register a month in advanced, counted us the night before as we signed in. Broke us into groups and pinned numbers to our bc and counted us in formation. They counted us as we walked into the water. The counted us once we were all in a chain. They filmed the entire chain to ensure there were no breaks in it. And they counted us out. We 386 registered divers take part.

Less cool, after the dive i walked back to the car bare footed and burned my feet bad enough I should have gone to the hospital.

Is there a record fot that? :yeahbaby:
I think if there is, I've got it. I only got blisters plural because I had 10 on my toes. The entire bottom of both feet was 1 giant blister. It was disgusting to say the least and super difficult to walk for a long time. If you look at the bottom of the guiness pic you can see my shoes... So I'm extra stupid...

I think if there is, I've got it. I only got blisters plural because I had 10 on my toes. The entire bottom of both feet was 1 giant blister. It was disgusting to say the least and super difficult to walk for a long time. If you look at the bottom of the guiness pic you can see my shoes... So I'm extra stupid...

The things we do for our kids, right??

Great job getting out there for her, Dad!! :)

How did you get blisters just from walking barefooted ?

That sounds like a fun record :)

How so? Laser?
Edit: genuinely curious
Edit 1: it is happy hour over here with me and I just read this thread 3 times. Sorry!

i have read this thread over and over. What is the issue? Mr.Gabr holds the record. For the next contester, how do you judge the world records and also with who with would divers across the board recognize the record.

i have read this thread over and over. What is the issue? Mr.Gabr holds the record. For the next contester, how do you judge the world records and also with who with would divers across the board recognize the record.

Quite frankly, who gives a damn? These are foolish and dangerous attempts that add very little to the scientific endeavor. Mostly ego driven and partially motivated by nationalistic fervor.

How did you get blisters just from walking barefooted ?

That sounds like a fun record :)
South florida in the middle of summer and blacktop, with the car parked 4 blocks away...

I got that very special sense of dread you get when you realize.
1. I have a problem
2. I'm pretty much exactly half way between where I came from and where I need to be...

The things we do for our kids, right??

Great job getting out there for her, Dad!! :)
Thanks. My youngest is turning 12 in Feb, I have to find something similar for him. For the immediate future I think it's impossible though. With all the travel restrictions I can't see anyone being able to put together a group thing like this.

Back
Top Bottom