Record deep dive challenged

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quite frankly, who gives a damn? These are foolish and dangerous attempts that add very little to the scientific endeavor. Mostly ego driven and partially motivated by nationalistic fervor.

Some people do give a damn about record holding. I've got no problem with that so long as the judging system is solid and responds well to contention.

...and That is what I have against deep dives like this. What a shameful waste of a precious resource. Helium should be dived on rebreathers or not at all. First world countries should make a law...

How about Helium should only be used by commercial and military divers who have a reason to be using it rather than recreational divers who don't. Or maybe we should arrest little kids at party's with Helium baloons.

How about Helium should only be used by commercial and military divers who have a reason to be using it rather than recreational divers who don't. Or maybe we should arrest little kids at party's with Helium baloons.
Not the kids, but at least a fine for the parents or whoever filled the balloons with it. The kids didn't decide to purchase it for that purpose. Even if they did, parents are supposed to teach kids how to make responsible decisions. Either way, it falls on the parents (or maybe a hired entertainer).

I'm fine with recreational divers using it as well, but blatantly wasting it on open circuit is unconscionable.

Medical/Science/Industrial uses are also dandy. They generally don't just dump it to the atmosphere as quick as they are breathing in those fields. Rather the gas is kept and reused as much as possible.

Using it as a welding shield gas is questionable too. Not quite as blatantly wasteful as OC scuba diving with it, but still questionable. People use it for welding stainless when Hydrogen could be used in stead. It's also used for welding aluminum when co2 laser welding could do the job without wasting the resource.

How about the annual release of about 40,000 helium-filled balloons before the Indianapolis 500 auto race? College football teams like Nebraska have huge balloon releases before each home game.

How about the annual release of about 40,000 helium-filled balloons before the Indianapolis 500 auto race? College football teams like Nebraska have huge balloon releases before each home game.
A nice $500 fine per balloon would be ideal. $20 Mill probably wouldn't really hurt NASCAR, but would be significant enough to send a message.

Not the kids, but at least a fine for the parents or whoever filled the balloons with it. The kids didn't decide to purchase it for that purpose. Even if they did, parents are supposed to teach kids how to make responsible decisions. Either way, it falls on the parents (or maybe a hired entertainer).

I'm fine with recreational divers using it as well, but blatantly wasting it on open circuit is unconscionable.

Medical/Science/Industrial uses are also dandy. They generally don't just dump it to the atmosphere as quick as they are breathing in those fields. Rather the gas is kept and reused as much as possible.

Using it as a welding shield gas is questionable too. Not quite as blatantly wasteful as OC scuba diving with it, but still questionable. People use it for welding stainless when Hydrogen could be used in stead. It's also used for welding aluminum when co2 laser welding could do the job without wasting the resource.

I dive a fair bit of trimix on open circuit and my conscience is clear, sue me.
My wallet is however not too happy about it.

A nice $500 fine per balloon would be ideal. $20 Mill probably wouldn't really hurt NASCAR, but would be significant enough to send a message.
Have you guys noticed how capitalism moves the resource towards the people that value it most?

You better go after the commercial diving companies as well because they are not using completely closed circuit systems in saturation systems or deep diving PTC work. We spent a lot of helium in my day working commercially. And if it is that rare why should recreational divers be given any priority at all. In welding Argon is a much more commonly used shield gas than hydrogen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom