Record deep dive challenged

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see several valid questions raised. None of them are proof of fakery, just a lot of oddities not adding up. I also see a very simple answer for his responses, ego. Ego is what drives these types of dives and ego is what keeps some people from just being honest about things that might make them appear less than perfect.

Personally, I'm not convinced it was faked and I'm not convinced it wasn't faked. I am convinced that the questions being asked are valid, the answers given are overly vague, and there are several oddities that just dont add up. I think further review is warranted.

I think people are totally missing the point that it was Guinness world records that awarded the record to Ahmed Gabr. If it was fake they would have to be part of the deception. Saying he did this right or this wrong is ridiculous. There is no right way to make a scuba dive to 335 meters and there’s no one to talk to about the wrong way.

I think people are totally missing the point that it was Guinness world records that awarded the record to Ahmed Gabr. If it was fake they would have to be part of the deception. Saying he did this right or this wrong is ridiculous. There is no right way to make a scuba dive to 335 meters and there’s no one to talk to about the wrong way.
I don’t think they are implying only that he did it differently than previous records.

I think they are implying that he cheated and never went to that depth.

I don’t think they are implying only that he did it differently than previous records.

I think they are implying that he cheated and never went to that depth.
How did he get the tag? The tags were unique and were covered and put in place by Guinness officials.

How did he get the tag? The tags were unique and were covered and put in place by Guinness officials.

you’ll find a couple of articles from GUE InDepth and DeeperBlue.

they got a bit burrowed under the avalanche of posts:

Scuba news didn’t generate the story. The group called “scuba Sam” did. A whole bunch of us got the emails. All scuba news did was republish the content in the emails that most major diving media received.

Have a read of our coverage which is based on emails but also extensive emails and conversations including the people calling themselves “scuba Sam”. They are anonymous but we have validated who they are and they have intimate knowledge of the record, the dive and the logistics. We also interviewed people like Gabr himself.

Fact Or Fiction? Is The World's Deepest Scuba Dive A Fake? - DeeperBlue.com

Fact Or Fiction? World Record Holder Ahmed Gabr Responds To Allegations - DeeperBlue.com

If it was fake they would have to be part of the deception.
Are you saying it is not possible for the Guinness people to be deceived themselves?

Are you saying it is not possible for the Guinness people to be deceived themselves?
According to “scubasam”
  • A Guinness Adjudicator arrives at Sharm El Sheikh airport and is met by Gabr’s project manager who has the tags in his possession.
  • The Guinness Adjudicator signs and stamps the tags
  • The adjudicator is dropped off at his hotel in Dahab without the tags. These are taken away to be wrapped and prepared.
  • If this is true why hasn’t the Guinness adjudicator been named in any of the articles even though it’s common knowledge?

According to “scubasam”
  • A Guinness Adjudicator arrives at Sharm El Sheikh airport and is met by Gabr’s project manager who has the tags in his possession.
  • The Guinness Adjudicator signs and stamps the tags
  • The adjudicator is dropped off at his hotel in Dahab without the tags. These are taken away to be wrapped and prepared.
  • Why hasn’t the Guinness adjudicator been named in any of the articles even though it’s common knowledge?
Did you read the links I have replied with ?

They mention that the tags could have been tampered with 3 times.

Did you read the links I have replied with ?

They mention that the tags could have been tampered with 3 times.
Do you believe that the Guinness adjudicator would hand over the tags to Ahmed,s project manager. That would call all Guinness records into suspicion. Why hasn’t he been questioned and named if this is believed by the people writing the articles?

Do you believe that the Guinness adjudicator would hand over the tags to Ahmed,s project manager. That would call all Guinness records into suspicion. Why hasn’t he been questioned and named if this is believed by the people writing the articles?
That’s a good question as well.

I am not saying that they are right, I just wanted to clarify what I understood from the article.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom